Th400 question

boosted4v

Established Member
Alright fellas I need help with the latest brought to my attention. I was told to make sure I did a orphis mod to the pump to prevent thrust issues in your motor is that all that needs to be done a lot off well known transmission shops won't tell you there little secrets to the trait. But I'm sure someone on here knows what I'm talking about and how to correct for it. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
Alright fellas I need help with the latest brought to my attention. I was told to make sure I did a orphis mod to the pump to prevent thrust issues in your motor is that all that needs to be done a lot off well known transmission shops won't tell you there little secrets to the trait. But I'm sure someone on here knows what I'm talking about and how to correct for it. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

You are talking about a GM TH400 transmission? There are a fair amount of posts on the Google net about an orifice mod to the TH400 to help eliminate thrust to the crankshaft. Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile or Chevy forums would be a better place. This is probably the wrong forum for your question. I hope this helps.

Are you putting a TH400 into your Cobra? I would think there would be better options since the TH400 has a huge parasitic loss, maybe up to 20%. But then again, I have no idea what you are planning and I am no where near an expert on automatic transmissions.

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
TH-400's are basically bullet proof and they turn some of the best times compared to other auto's (at least heavy cars like ours). Many shops will add something to reduce line pressure on the cooler line when on a transbrake to prevent damage to the thurst bearing but the most important steps are get a good convertor that won't balloon and measure your spacing when you install it. Many people are against bleeding fluid to avoid pressure.

Others have put a restrictor in the pump and had success. I'd call Hutch in Canada as he is the expect on TH400's.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
TH-400's are basically bullet proof and they turn some of the best times compared to other auto's (at least heavy cars like ours). Many shops will add something to reduce line pressure on the cooler line when on a transbrake to prevent damage to the thurst bearing but the most important steps are get a good convertor that won't balloon and measure your spacing when you install it. Many people are against bleeding fluid to avoid pressure.

Others have put a restrictor in the pump and had success. I'd call Hutch in Canada as he is the expect on TH400's.

Well, that shows you how much I know. Thanks for the education. I decided to do a little more reading on the TH400, especially since I have one in my 71 Jeep. The 231 CI V6 I have doesn't even come close to needing any updates to the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread