The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread

Jefe

Established Member
Thanks man...i think there needs to be clarification or something because in some posts it says top and some bottom....I did cut from the bottom though.
Once you have the spring out it makes sense which side to cut. One side is flattened/compressed the other is perfectly round and spaced evenly. You cut the round/spaced evenly side

IMG_1666.jpg

froggerlives07

Established Member
I Cut 3/4 up front and 1 coil back both cut on bottom side. Now I just need to get some wider meats in the back.lol

2011-04-13_14-36-10_16-1.jpg

froggerlives07

Established Member
Wow looks awesome Brian, who helped you out? There's a show and shine on Saturday wanna tag along?

Thanks mike..I actually did them myself wasn't bad at all. Next are cc plates and 10.5 reps..but wish I could go but I gotta work.. :nonono:

Last edited:

Baker1k

slowbra
Established Member
Just did my Wifes cobra with b4 and after pictures on 18" boss 338 wheels (I'm sure someone would ask if I didn't put it on here lol) One coil cut off each spring front and rear with both top and bottom pads still on the springs
7aa5d1e1.jpg

be1eed72.jpg
:dancenana:

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
Just did my Wifes cobra with b4 and after pictures on 18" boss 338 wheels (I'm sure someone would ask if I didn't put it on here lol) One coil cut off each spring front and rear with both top and bottom pads still on the springs
7aa5d1e1.jpg

be1eed72.jpg
:dancenana:

:beer:

Jefe

Established Member
Id at least go through a gas tank before getting an alignment. 2-3 weeks to be safe

BlownShelby10

Established Member
Ok jw bc my buddy just got his car done and was wanting me to ask for piece of mind! Does he need to drive it or just leave it parked for the springs to fully set bc he dont want to mess anything up?

Jefe

Established Member
Not enough drop to mess anything up. He'd have to put a couple thousand miles on a bad alignment to see excessive tire wear. Id drive it a couple times but the weight of the car is whats going to make them settle

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
Anyone had problems with the pass side needing to be cut more? i do remember reading this before that someone had to remove pass side and cut more, mine is about 3/4 inch taller on the pass side than the dr side.

1f86e829.gif

Jefe

Established Member
If you measured right height before cutting and after and its off, then its most likely the orientation of the spring in the perch. 3/4" is quite a bit though...Id double check the position of the end of spring on both sides before cutting more

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
yeah we cut the same amount off of each coil. im going to check it out soon and see whats up. maybe it isnt in the perch right

Mustang_jimmy

Established Member
Just an FYI guys, NO you dont have to remove the tie rod from the front spindle, If you have a decent sized pry bar you dont have to remove anything in the rear but the shock bolt. I was able to do it leaving everything bolted up except the shock. Just pryed the spring out cut it and pryed down on the upper control arm and stuffed the spring back in. Will save some time

Baker1k

slowbra
Established Member
If anyone around my area Orlando/kissimmee Florida area they can bring it to my house and il do it for a little cash I have everything. I could use a little extra money and I have everything to do it here only here till the end of october then I'm done with Mmi then headed back to Ar.

Users who are viewing this thread