The Flat Plane Crank explained

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
specizripn, great write up! My questions are: how are they going to balance this? And have they actually come up with a bundle-of-snakes exhaust? Because half the advantages of a flat plane crank are wasted if you can't take advantage of the exhaust timing.

Also, I can't believe I just now found your initial write up. Why doesn't anyone tell me about these things?

FIVEHOE

Established Member
specizripn, great write up! My questions are: how are they going to balance this? And have they actually come up with a bundle-of-snakes exhaust? Because half the advantages of a flat plane crank are wasted if you can't take advantage of the exhaust timing.

Also, I can't believe I just now found your initial write up. Why doesn't anyone tell me about these things?

+1

I remember reading this thread when it was initially posted! Quite cool to see it actually happen.

it will be interesting to see how the gt350 takes to mods.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
One note. The loss of torque he mentions is partially due to the lack of counter weights. One function that affects torque is the weight swinging around in there. An example, swap a steel flywheel and put an aluminum one, and off idle torque drops significantly. Same principle. Can it be reversed with engineering? Absolutely. But that would affect reving and high rpm operation.

Voltwings

Established Member
^^ I'm having some trouble with your throught process here? The weight of the parts has no direct effect on torque, but if anything removing rotational mass would improve torque; think driveshaft, rims/tires, flywheel...

vr4

Established Member

One benefit of a flat plane crank is not needing a "bundle of snakes" to properly scavenge exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread