Tire Ratings

ANGREY

Established Member
You know, it's pretty sad that in 2018, we don't have an objective, methodical reference for judging tire performance. Do a search for any tire and all you get is an internet full of subjective bullshit. Outside of the tread wear rating (UTQG) which is about as close to anything you'd expect from an ASTM or similar testing methodology, there's just subjective rankings.

I realize that it's expensive to slap on 10 different sets of tires on the same car and do the SAME tests, so why doesn't someone simply devise a standardized test for braking/acceleration grip, lateral grip, (in both wet and dry conditions) and then wear, all this could be standardized on a roller of some sort to normalize the load, they could even test/measure loaded tire patch, etc, etc.

This moaning all boils down to a simple question, I'm about to purchase a new set of shoes....is the MP4S worth $100 more per tire than the Cont ExtreContact Sport?

THe ECS has a tread rating of 340, which is higher than the 4S (300), which means for the front wheels, they'll last a little longer. I've already purchased 325/30r19 MPSS for the rear. Now just deciding if I want to A) Mix/match manufacturers B) Go with a bigger 305/35 vs. the 305/30 which is more limited and more expensive, but a shorter tire and C) Pay nearly 40% more for the 4S tire vs. the extremecontact sport. Is it 40% better?

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I read up on tire wear ratings about a decade ago and the most interesting thing about them was that they're determined by the manufacturer and not by an independent tester. A 300 from one manufacturer may not last as long as a 300 from another. They're a general guide, in the sense that a 300 is a street tire and a 60 is a sports tire, but that's about it.

The Conti's will feel different than the Michelins. I've mixed tire brands twice over the years and it was fine once and it was unpleasant the second time.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
To further throw another curveball in your query, i’ve seen folks who wouldn’t even mix the MPSS and MP4S lol...

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
To further throw another curveball in your query, i’ve seen folks who wouldn’t even mix the MPSS and MP4S lol...
I'm in this camp.

Sidewall stiffness is a big deal to me with how the car feels. Mismatched tires would probably drive me insane.

Those conti's, in my experience, have a softer sidewall than the Michelins.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm in this camp.

Sidewall stiffness is a big deal to me with how the car feels. Mismatched tires would probably drive me insane.

Those conti's, in my experience, have a softer sidewall than the Michelins.

Continentals have VERY soft sidewalls.

OP, Tire Rack does precisely what you're looking for. Just check their tire tests links. I believe they even have a comparo of the ExtremeContact Sport vs Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S.

Users who are viewing this thread