What gains from E85 on 96 cobra N/A are expected ???

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I'd be curious about this as well. There should be gains, but will it be worth the money spent for fuel system mods and tuning? I was thinking of doing a 101 race fuel tune to see what gains can be had and if decent, set my car up to run on E85... guessing the gains would be similar.

Blu13gt

Established Member
Not sure that you will see much difference on a N/A car unless you have 10/1 or higher compression. The benefit of E85 is its cooling properties and knock resistance. Without boost or high compression you really dont have a whole lot of need for those benefits. I mean I could be wrong. But most likely you will see a marginal power gain if any and poor gas meilage.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Not sure that you will see much difference on a N/A car unless you have 10/1 or higher compression. The benefit of E85 is its cooling properties and knock resistance. Without boost or high compression you really dont have a whole lot of need for those benefits. I mean I could be wrong. But most likely you will see a marginal power gain if any and poor gas meilage.

that's what I was thinking too but then I read an article on a stock 03 Mach 1 that saw good gains from e85 only....so it got me curious.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I go between premium and e85 on my 96 Cobra. Normally only run regular gas for long trips where I am not sure if e85 is available or how much it costs. Sometimes when it gets really cold out as well. Since it can take a minute to start when it gets below 40 outside. The price difference between premium and e85 out here is normally right around 35% so any MPG/Money loss from running corn is a wash. Just will end up stopping more for the fuel.

Only modification to the fuel system is the adjustable FPR and stealth 340lph pump. I just bump the pressure to 50lbs at the rail when running e85, reset the computer by pulling the cable to the battery, and roll out. I also run a 150 shot e85 / 100 shot on premium.

I haven't done any dyno time or tuning with either. So can't give quantified data between them. The SOTP dyno and breaking traction differences lends me to believe that the e85 does make more power. No nitrous with regular gas I break traction into 2nd but it will hook around half way through it. E85 will lay rubber all the way through 2nd, again no nitrous.

Last edited:

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Interesting, ^ I vote you should go for an E85 tune and help OP out ! Should be able to run a good amount more timing and gain some power.. when off the bottle of course.

Mach828

Established Member
I did it a few years ago and saw less than 10hp with a lot of bolt ons. I wouldn't expect more than 5-10hp. They don't respond well to excessive timing NA.

Users who are viewing this thread