where to mount trans cooler in cobra

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is it a race car or street car? If it's a street car I'd try to mount it up in front so it gets the most air. How big of a cooler are you running?

03sonicblu

going 4 broke
Established Member
Is it a race car or street car? If it's a street car I'd try to mount it up in front so it gets the most air. How big of a cooler are you running?

built to race by previous owner.....I use as a street car/cruiser
its currently mounted in front of radiator on passenger side. just wondering if thats a bad idea, ie restricting air flow to radiator. Eng temps run hot already as Im trying to sort that out. 220+. stock fan and radiator, reische 170 t-stat. adjusted fan settings (180 & 190). Cant for the life of me figure out why it runs this warm. just drained and refilled and burped last night again. only 15-20% antifreeze. the rest water & purple ice (like water wetter).
im wondering if i should move the trans cooler to get better radiator air flow

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70297

01yellercobra

Established Member
I wouldn't think it's a restriction for the radiator. But I'm no expert. Is it right against the radiator or a little forward? I've heard having space between a radiator and any external cooler can help.

I don't think we have a lot of choices for cooler placement. The reason I asked if it's street or track is I saw one guy put the cooler in the trunk. He had vents in the decklid routed straight to the cooler.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Fan motor could be failing.

Before going too deep into alterations, I'd swap in a Lincoln mk8 fan from the 97-98's. They blow 4500cfm+ on high, and about 2500cfm on low iirc. They had such a powerful fan because those cars had all of 10sq inches of inlet window on the front bumper covers (mildly exaggerating, maybe 13sq inches.)

I switched to one and my car runs as cool as I set it to now. I have a huge intercooler infront of my radiator blocking 3/4 of the damn radiator to boot.

The stock fan pumps are 15 years old now, very likely the fan is tired or failing.

My mk8 fan rewound and rebrushed/refreshed from a local motor repair shop was $125 total. $75 for the fan and $50 for the rebuild. The electrical brushes wear out, switches can wear etc so when you find a fan, have it properly refreshed by a local who has experience rewinding them.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Regarding trans coolers, mine is mounted in the wheel well. Not the best or worst place but we ducted air to it. duct some fresh air to it where ever you end up mounting it, and be weary of how you plumb water lines and returns. Lots of helpful YouTube videos can help you find a nice place.

My diff cooler is directly under the car in the muffler wells since I only have resonators (turbo cars are naturally muffled) and just has an air pan and lines to it. Works great.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
They are louder but do a hell of a job. You can vaguely see hot gassy/wavy air fly out of the hood vents/engine bay on hot days while stopped in traffic. Almost comical haha.

Users who are viewing this thread