Whipple front feed tensioner vs transmission cooler lines

fishpick

Established Member
Any 2011+ Whipple 2.9 front feed folks with an automatic deal with the fact / solve the issue of the transmission cooler lines and the Whipple belt tensioner seem to occupy the same position is space time?

Admittedly I know very little about the transmission cooler lines and the funky clip setup... I doubt the fluid is under pressure... Should I remove and use my tubing bender to make things fit? Anyone else have this issue?

That line looks to me like the metal tubing below connector in the image would need to be bent forward several inches so the whole tube arch is completely free from the travel of the tensioner.

line vs pully.jpg

Nothing in the instructions about this and it seem like it's a bit of a major issue... but since I know others have this blower on autos - I started here.

fishpick

Established Member
This image is looking up from under the car - this "clamp" connector thingy seems to be part of the issue. it was originally used to fasten these tubes to the back of the stock radiator fan shroud... Thoughts about removing this and then coming up with a way to reposition the tubes? This alone might give me clearance from the tensioner...
IMG_4121.JPG

Just need a Whipple 2.9 Front Feed Auto person to chime in here!

stangn

Established Member
I have the rear feed but, just carefully bend them away. I cut my lines back behind the starter and installed adapters to braided lines. I removed the cooler from between the condenser and radiator and welded on adapters to go to braided line. Now it's out of the way and easier to service the belt.

fishpick

Established Member
@stangn - THANKS - that's what I guess I'll be doing... this is a page from the Procharger install manual (thanks Moe on FB) where they address these lines - Whipple didn't include any of these parts and doesn't even mention it...
2011-2014_Ford_5_0L_Mustang_GT_pdf__page_17_of_67_.jpg

I tried bending yesterday and the issue is the one that's "offending" the tensioner is so "long" in the section with the connector that I think by the time I get it bent to the side enough it's going to be kiniking the rubber hose on the transmission side of things (figure 2F above, the one on the right).
This Procharger solution seems like the right way to go. I DO like your approach tho of cutting things WAY back by the starter and flaring the tubes and having real connectors as opposed to these nylon M-M connectors and pinch clamps... I'm gonna call Whipple today when they open as I'm missing some parts in my build.
After you did this - did you have to top off your AT fluid?

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I spilled a small amount doing mine. I took it in for an oil change and had them top it off while it was on the lift.

fishpick

Established Member
Just talked with Whipple (they are great) and they have a tech with my car w/ an auto and this blower - he said you grab on real hard and bend the tubes about 10* outward and that should do it in terms of enough clearance from the tensioner... I'll go wrestle with the tubes later today and report back.

fishpick

Established Member
I came up with a novel way to make the automatic transmission cooler lines not be anywhere near the supercharger belt tensioner and also not have an opportunity to EVER walk over that way either - all without having to cut and splice lines. I think this issue is because I added a GT500 fan to the car and it's missing the factory attachment point for these lines.

I wrote it up over on my build thread (direct link to the relevant post) and have a bunch of pictures with how I solved the transmission cooler lines and the belt tensioner collision issue!

stangn

Established Member
Ive been gone a while, but I also have the dipstick tube so I can fill my tranny as needed. Bought the line and fittings from Summit Racing.
I did all the while the motor was out of the car so it was easy.
Looks like you got it though. Love my Whipple and glad I've got it!

Users who are viewing this thread