00 GT Idle surge.

RestoStang67

GO LOBOS!
Established Member
Ok well this is getting old already. I've read a few threads on this issue, here and other forums but i cant figure out what is wrong. Here's what i have done so far; I've replaced the IAC valve, EGR valve, TPS, MAF sensor, cleaned the throttle body, set proper TPS voltage, reset the idle, I sprayed around the intake manifold looking for a leak but couldn't find one. Here is what happens when i drive the car. After the car gets to running temperature, when i start slowing down i can feel the car surging forward slightly when i am coasting. When i put the car in neutral and start to slow down, the idle falls to about 1500 and will stay there until i come to a complete stop. When i do stop, the idle falls pretty fast down to 500 rpms or even lower sometimes, almost dies, then revs back up between 1000 and 1500. It will keep bouncing between 500 and 1200ish until I put the car in gear and get going again. Also, when driving, in between shifts, the rpms will jump about 300-400 rpms. One thing i've notice is that the car doesn't seem to do this as much when its cold outside. Today we had fairly warm weather, mid-lower 50's, and it was a noticeable difference. Another thing is that the car doesn't do it all the time. Say i drive the car for about half and hour. It will act up for about 2/3 of the drive, but the rest of the time, it idles perfectly, no surge between shifts or anything.

Any advice?

here's a short vid

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvQbVuLkcr0"]YouTube- 00 GT idle surge[/ame]

JerseyTrueBlue

Established Member
I really dunno what else it could be man. If you replaced the iac and the tps it should be fine unless you got a bad tps? Did you buy used parts or new? and are they motorcraft parts? My car doesn't settle till idle until I slow to almost a stop it hangs around 1000-1200 so maybe thats normal but the surging is strange. My car used to do that but I changed the iac and it was fien after that.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
make sure all the intake piping is clamped tight...

not trying to be a d**k just want to rule out stupid shit first

built93cobra

BIG GIB
Established Member
Mine is doing the same thing. Replaced the IAC and TPS, and cleaned the MAF and checked for vacuum leaks. This seams to be a common problem from what I have found on this forum, but still no solution? Somebody has to know what is causing this...

bs46488

Established Member
I was just going to post on this same topic.

I have a similiar problem, except my rpms do not drop. It stays around 1,500. Replaced the IAC, did the vaccum leak, etc

Users who are viewing this thread