00 GT Won't Start...And other problems

IveGotTheBlues

Yes..That is me
Established Member
Ok, so I have a 00 GT. On Saturday, the car would turn and fire and immediately shut off. I checked the vacuum lines and replaced a cracked hose.

So, we tried starting it again and it would turn, fire, start and die. So I cleaned that bypass valve (the one that goes from the inlet tube to the intake). Went to try to start it again, and it won't even start anymore. My theory at the time is that we drained the battery from all of the previous starts (alternator couldn't recharge the battery).

Fast forward to Sunday. Car won't start at all still. So I take the battery from my Cobra, which is good, and put it in the GT. Nothing. So I jumped the battery and the motor SLOWLY turned over but did not fire. So I immediately put that battery back in my Cobra and it started right up.

So I have my head all confused because I can't distinguish if I have two problems or one.

Things I've tried:

Rechecked the alternator - It's Good
Checked Vacuum - Good
Checked battery - Good
Cleaned that bypass valve - Done
Checked MAF - Done
Cleaned TB - Done

Punched a hole in the wall - Done. (Need an estimate for repair) lol jk.

If you have input, let me know, thanks.

PS:

One other question, do I need to have the motor turn over in order to check spark? Or is there current through the wire with just the key on?

4valvemach

Established Member
yes the engine needs to crank to see if the plugs are fireing.I would guess that the bypass valve you cleaned is the PCV valve.

For the stalling after idle it sounds like a fuel problem is the fuel pump working
you should hear it as a strong hum when the key is turned to the on position.

So the motor just wont crank over at all now?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread