'01 GT vs 2010 Camaro SS x2 and '98 Camaro

Zinc01

Established Member
Caution, very long post! Describing 3 races here, so it will require some space.

There are two guys with new Camaro SS at my work. One is my previous boss and still not sure who owns the other one. The 98 Camaro story is from when I was bone stock, but it is by far the best race story. I love telling it to this day, because it is the ultimate ownage of all time.

Race 1: 2010 Camaro SS dark shadow grey vs 2001 Mustang GT KB 2.1 10PSI, 3.73's, all supporting mods, etc.

My old boss told me he would kill me in his new Camaro. He had previously said the same thing back when he got one of the first Dodge Charger's. That didn't work out too well for him... Anyway, I said lets put some money on it and line it up. He says lets just go for fun. I agree, because I know the guy just doesn't get it. I've explained several times that my car is not stock.

Take it out front of work and I do a short burnout. I told him to hit the gas whenever he was ready. He hits the gas and I launch at 3500. Instantly took 3 cars on him and kept pulling. Let off the gas when I shifted to third, because there was no point going any further. Lined it up again with pretty much the same result. He was on street tires and he doesn't race much, so I wasn't expecting much.

Race 2: 2010 Camaro SS yellow vs my 2001 Mustang GT

On my way home from work, I see a yellow Camaro SS on the highway. Still not sure if this is the same as the one from my work. I tried to get next to him to line up, but he just kept going faster and faster. Not about to do 120 just to get next to the guy, so I say screw it. I drive for a couple miles behind him (not tailing him) and he just starts going slower and slower. To the point where we are now 10 under the 65 limit. :dw:

I write the guy off as a douche and decide to go around. As soon as I signal and switch lanes he nails the gas and takes off like Mr. Imabadass. At this point, I decided I was going to show him what's up. Hit the gas and got right next to him, reving it up with the clutch in to let him know I was game. Put the car in 4th gear and waited for him to go. He hits the gas and as soon as he gets equal with my front bumper, I floor it and instantly leave him. Let off and he's still on the gas. Wait for him to get just past my front again and hit it, once again instantly leaving him. I did this 3 times and then started hitting it off and on, just to let him no he had no chance. He still doesn't get it, because he's still trying. I finally stayed in it, until about 130 and let off. I decide to stop playing at this point. He does a flyby and flips me off.

Best part is that I have a V6 rear bumper as I run dumps. Other than my car being very loud, he's probably wondering if he got beat by a v6!

Race 3: My 2001 Mustang GT bone stock vs. 97 or 98 Camaro (whatever the last year for the LT1 was) auto w/ exhaust only

This was back when I first got my car in 2005, but worth telling. Leaving the gym and getting on the highway, floor it up the off ramp just for fun. As I enter the highway, I see this camaro blowing smoke out the tailpipes trying to get past me. I line up in 3rd gear (stock gears). We both go and I leave him BAD! He stays in the gas and I wait for him to catch up, hit it again and pass again. Did this at least 4-5 times. We get off the same exit, he cuts off another car just to get next to me. His girl is in the car and he starts doing a burnout at the light. Light goes green, I launch, he spins and I leave him. We merge onto the next road and I yell over does he want to race again. He says he wasn't racing any of those times. I say ok, whatever have a nice day.

He sees me pull into my old apt. complex and continues driving. That night my roommate asks if I raced a black camaro. I say yeah, how did you know? He says it's his friend's boyfriend's car. They knew he lived there and knew I had a yellow GT. He gets on IM and says he wants to race again. I respond that I thought we weren't racing? ;-) He says there is no way I can beat him. I say put up $100 and we'll go again. He again says I have no chance. I tell him that it's an easy $100 then, so lets do it. We set it up, we meet and the guy is about 5ft tall. He talks all sorts of shit about how mustang's are for pussies, etc.

We line it up at the stop light. It goes green and we take off, instantly pulled him. By the big end I had over 3 cars on him. I realize that even after the race is over, he's not letting off. I stay in it for a bit to let him know he can't pass me and finally let off. He does a flyby and just keeps on going! I get back to where his friend's are, he wouldn't even come back. His friend's tell me that they couldn't believe how bad I beat him. Then tell me how the car isn't running right, etc. He calls on the phone and they want to inspect my car. I let them and they tell him, yeah, down to the paper filter. He then asks if I let off when he finally passed me. Duh, yes! I made the $100 I was short on rent that month! :rockon:

About a year later, my old roommate says the guy wants to race me again. I ask what has he done to his car, because I now have nitrous, slicks, gears. Here it comes...... He now owns a stock 2003 Mustang GT and his girlfriend has a V6 same year!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whhoooopppppppp! :bowdown: He converted after getting his ass kicked!

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
Sorry but the LT-1 with exhaust had to have something wrong with it if you were stock. I raced a stock LT-1 when my 98 cobra was stock and had a time with him... it was really close...

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Sorry but the LT-1 with exhaust had to have something wrong with it if you were stock. I raced a stock LT-1 when my 98 cobra was stock and had a time with him... it was really close...

Maybe something was wrong with your car or driving:poke:.

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
congrats. You beat a 3.8 V6 camaro.

BTW, you need to learn which year the LT1 ended because there is a BIG difference between 97-98. The difference is almost full second in the 1/4 mile. Unless, they are v6's. Then there is no difference from 96-2002 other then body changes.

Zinc01

Established Member
Yeah, you're right, it was a v6... :rollseyes

Sorry to burst your bubble, but yes it was an LT1 v8. I know there is a difference between the LS1 and the LT1, couldn't remember what year the switchover happened. I just knew it was the last year of the LT1, because he said as much.

I also know the quarter mile difference between the LT1 and LS1. A guy at work had a 2001 WS6. I ran him with gears and tires only. The guy couldn't drive to save his life, but he still beat me every single time. I would take him out of the hole, but at the top of 3rd he'd walk by me every ****ing time. Extremely annoying to say the least.

Perhaps, I just beat the driver, or a bad running car. However, I ran a best of 13.88 stock with only tires. This guy was at the track the same day as me a month later, but we didn't run each other. He ran consistent 14.30's. My worst pass was a 14 flat. I also looked up quarter mile times for the auto LT1's before I raced him. Most ranged from 14-14.50, with some as low as 13.80's. Having already run fairly consistent 13.90's, I figured that it should be a driver's race, but I knew I could beat this guy. He couldn't pull me on the highway and I got him good on the launch at the stop light when we were previously "not racing". Tell me how the guy is going to win, when the outcome had already been the same about a half dozen times?

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Caution, very long post! Describing 3 races here, so it will require some space.

There are two guys with new Camaro SS at my work. One is my previous boss and still not sure who owns the other one. The 98 Camaro story is from when I was bone stock, but it is by far the best race story. I love telling it to this day, because it is the ultimate ownage of all time.

Race 1: 2010 Camaro SS dark shadow grey vs 2001 Mustang GT KB 2.1 10PSI, 3.73's, all supporting mods, etc.

My old boss told me he would kill me in his new Camaro. He had previously said the same thing back when he got one of the first Dodge Charger's. That didn't work out too well for him... Anyway, I said lets put some money on it and line it up. He says lets just go for fun. I agree, because I know the guy just doesn't get it. I've explained several times that my car is not stock.

Take it out front of work and I do a short burnout. I told him to hit the gas whenever he was ready. He hits the gas and I launch at 3500. Instantly took 3 cars on him and kept pulling. Let off the gas when I shifted to third, because there was no point going any further. Lined it up again with pretty much the same result. He was on street tires and he doesn't race much, so I wasn't expecting much.

Race 2: 2010 Camaro SS yellow vs my 2001 Mustang GT

On my way home from work, I see a yellow Camaro SS on the highway. Still not sure if this is the same as the one from my work. I tried to get next to him to line up, but he just kept going faster and faster. Not about to do 120 just to get next to the guy, so I say screw it. I drive for a couple miles behind him (not tailing him) and he just starts going slower and slower. To the point where we are now 10 under the 65 limit. :dw:

I write the guy off as a douche and decide to go around. As soon as I signal and switch lanes he nails the gas and takes off like Mr. Imabadass. At this point, I decided I was going to show him what's up. Hit the gas and got right next to him, reving it up with the clutch in to let him know I was game. Put the car in 4th gear and waited for him to go. He hits the gas and as soon as he gets equal with my front bumper, I floor it and instantly leave him. Let off and he's still on the gas. Wait for him to get just past my front again and hit it, once again instantly leaving him. I did this 3 times and then started hitting it off and on, just to let him no he had no chance. He still doesn't get it, because he's still trying. I finally stayed in it, until about 130 and let off. I decide to stop playing at this point. He does a flyby and flips me off.

Best part is that I have a V6 rear bumper as I run dumps. Other than my car being very loud, he's probably wondering if he got beat by a v6!

Race 3: My 2001 Mustang GT bone stock vs. 97 or 98 Camaro (whatever the last year for the LT1 was) auto w/ exhaust only

This was back when I first got my car in 2005, but worth telling. Leaving the gym and getting on the highway, floor it up the off ramp just for fun. As I enter the highway, I see this camaro blowing smoke out the tailpipes trying to get past me. I line up in 3rd gear (stock gears). We both go and I leave him BAD! He stays in the gas and I wait for him to catch up, hit it again and pass again. Did this at least 4-5 times. We get off the same exit, he cuts off another car just to get next to me. His girl is in the car and he starts doing a burnout at the light. Light goes green, I launch, he spins and I leave him. We merge onto the next road and I yell over does he want to race again. He says he wasn't racing any of those times. I say ok, whatever have a nice day.

He sees me pull into my old apt. complex and continues driving. That night my roommate asks if I raced a black camaro. I say yeah, how did you know? He says it's his friend's boyfriend's car. They knew he lived there and knew I had a yellow GT. He gets on IM and says he wants to race again. I respond that I thought we weren't racing? ;-) He says there is no way I can beat him. I say put up $100 and we'll go again. He again says I have no chance. I tell him that it's an easy $100 then, so lets do it. We set it up, we meet and the guy is about 5ft tall. He talks all sorts of shit about how mustang's are for pussies, etc.

We line it up at the stop light. It goes green and we take off, instantly pulled him. By the big end I had over 3 cars on him. I realize that even after the race is over, he's not letting off. I stay in it for a bit to let him know he can't pass me and finally let off. He does a flyby and just keeps on going! I get back to where his friend's are, he wouldn't even come back. His friend's tell me that they couldn't believe how bad I beat him. Then tell me how the car isn't running right, etc. He calls on the phone and they want to inspect my car. I let them and they tell him, yeah, down to the paper filter. He then asks if I let off when he finally passed me. Duh, yes! I made the $100 I was short on rent that month! :rockon:

About a year later, my old roommate says the guy wants to race me again. I ask what has he done to his car, because I now have nitrous, slicks, gears. Here it comes...... He now owns a stock 2003 Mustang GT and his girlfriend has a V6 same year!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whhoooopppppppp! :bowdown: He converted after getting his ass kicked!

DSG is a mustang color.....

I think the SS color is cyber grey

Good kills though

Zinc01

Established Member
Yeah, it was really more of a description. Didn't know what the actual color was called. Figured everyone would get a good visual of the color if I said DSG, though.

Off topic, but what the hell is wrong with this site? It is ridiculously slow and seems to happen a lot. Time for a server upgrade.

F8L BYT

Established Member

Maybe something was wrong with your car or driving:poke:.

Agreed! If you had trouble with a lt1 in your cobra then you have one weak ass car... now an ls1 i can understand

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Good races. Was it an auto LT1 that you raced?

The 2.73's absolutely kill them. My auto 94 Formula had full exhaust and a CAI and ran 14.0 @ 101 with a 2.1 60'.

Last edited:

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
op... if someone flips u off, they usually flip u off for a reason other than beating them.....or unless u just threw that in the story...

S8ER01Z

Established Member
op... if someone flips u off, they usually flip u off for a reason other than beating them.....or unless u just threw that in the story...

:shrug: I've been flipped off for simply passing people on the highway (not even coming close to them or riding their bumper, etc).

Zinc01

Established Member
Typing from my phone, so sorry for the lack of quotes.

Yes, it was an auto. I knew it was 97 or 98 for the switch, just wasn't sure exactly.

Some people are sore losers. Aside from that, come visit NY. Then tell me about how you need to do something to get flipped off. You will quickly understand the joke, about the middle finger being a NYer's way of waving hello.

Users who are viewing this thread