02 AOD GT - Best bang for the buck mods?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I have a female friend who drives a 02 GT with an automatic transmission.

She wants to make it a bit quicker, but doesn't want to spend a lot of dough. Right now, it's stock execpt for a K&N filter.

What would be the best thing to do with this car?

I was going to suggest 4.10 gears as a start and maybe exhaust.

Does a catback really get you anything on the GT's? I've heard only about 10 hp at high RPM's. What about a lower intake?

I welcome your suggestions.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I would go with 3.73's on the auto, just to save fuel mileage if anything else. If they have the 3.90 8.8 gears out you might want to check those out. Catback alone is more for sound. An offroad mid pipe will get you some decent power.

Gears, midpipe, and weld in aftermarket mufflers(cheaper), underdrive pulleys, timing adjuster, and get a diablo chip or something similiar for it.

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
my car is fast with the only 3 little mods i have.... ever since they put a new torque converter its been faster, and i rode in many mach 1's, and cobra's and my car is no slouch, im looking into a diablo tuner now :burnout:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
04HillzGT said:
3.73's feel way too much like stock if you plan on staying N/A go with 4.10's atleast!

That's what I've heard. I think 4.10's would be a better choice.

I also agree with "horseplay". The GT is no slouch. Before I got my Cobra, I had a 99 GT. Even stock, that thing ripped from 0 to 70. Above that it hit a wall due to the very tall 3rd gear. A 6-speed tranny and a shorter rear-end gear would have greatly helped. Too bad Ford never decided to do it on the GT.

What do underdrive pulleys get you? About 10 rwhp? Are they difficult to install?

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
my dad installed them.... and it made a big difference down low but lost up top, the pully's are easy to install. ;-)

NyteByte said:
That's what I've heard. I think 4.10's would be a better choice.

I also agree with "horseplay". The GT is no slouch. Before I got my Cobra, I had a 99 GT. Even stock, that thing ripped from 0 to 70. Above that it hit a wall due to the very tall 3rd gear. A 6-speed tranny and a shorter rear-end gear would have greatly helped. Too bad Ford never decided to do it on the GT.

What do underdrive pulleys get you? About 10 rwhp? Are they difficult to install?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
horseplay said:
my dad installed them.... and it made a big difference down low but lost up top, the pully's are easy to install. ;-)

When you say "lost up top", do you mean that you now just have a lower top speed, or does the car run out of steam above a certain speed?

ESVEETEE

Established Member
sounds like it gained "seat of pants" power down low and lost a little bit of its get-up-and-go in the higher rpms

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
Comng from a Auto Guy here.. My first Mod was the Xpipe & Catback..then the UD Pulleys & CAI..Then Chip & Gears..I would do that first! Just my 2 cents :burnout:

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
all that stuff is coming this summer.... got that warrenty to worry about, my birthday is this coming month and im going to get the steeda lowering springs, and my dad said he's getting the diablo tuner.. and im talking into getting some nitto's for the back :rolling:.... well it lost a little power up top but not much, we got upto 130 and it felt it had more.

Last edited:

MustangBoo

Save Colonel Reb!!!
Established Member
I too have an 02 AOD GT. My mods include: ported tb, removed air silencer, removed maf screen, o/r xpipe, 40 series flows, cutouts, and k&n air filter. I don't have a slip but my best so far has been a 13.78 at 102 something. I am not to upset with that considering my mods.

AZROUSH01

Established Member
Gears would be good, alum. drive shaft also, best bang is the cat-back with an h-pipe to keep the same sound, x-pipes get a little raspy sounding....and a good tune.

CVR98GT

Audiophile Poster
Established Member
What kind of 1/4 mile difference would gears make on a stock 98 auto gt? 3:73 or 4:10's?

Paul's_03SVT

Established Member
NyteByte said:
I have a female friend who drives a 02 GT with an automatic transmission.

She wants to make it a bit quicker, but doesn't want to spend a lot of dough. Right now, it's stock execpt for a K&N filter.

What would be the best thing to do with this car?

I was going to suggest 4.10 gears as a start and maybe exhaust.

Does a catback really get you anything on the GT's? I've heard only about 10 hp at high RPM's. What about a lower intake?

I welcome your suggestions.
Since we are talking about a girl, she may not like the drone she will hear with the gears. I would do an off road h-pipe, ported tb, mass air, etc. minor mods that are all dealer friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread