"02 L vs. Evo

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
I was riding down I-459 in the middle lane at about 75 when a silver Mitsu Evo blows past me in the left lane goin' about 90 (I'm guessing). He whips over in front of me as he went by.......so I nailed it. He saw me coming so he nailed it, and he had a pretty good run on me, but I ran him down and went singin' by him at about 135. I was a full trucklength in front of him when I remembered I'd just gotten a carbon fiber hood and haven't had a chance to pin it, so I'm scared to death of it blowing up on me, and that's when I lifted. It may be a little different from a dead stop, but I OWNED his ass on the highway.

Cal

Established Member
Good kill! Do you have any other pictures of your truck?

IE Evo

Established Member
Yeah me and my friend tested his Lightning with Diablo chip and exhaust against my stock Evo. I would beat him pretty good in the first three gears with a moderate launch but he would pull back at about 90 mph and at about 100mph he would pass me. Did several runs and the Evo for being bone stock and not properly launched held its own.

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
Originally posted by HUBCAP
Damn i miss my lightning....

Whats up Ken?how is the stang running?:thumbsup: :beer:

What up Hub? The poor stang isn't running at all. You may know, but I have a '97 Cobra motor w/an S-trim and a 6-spd to go in it. Too bad I don't have any $. I don't need too much to get it going. Someday soon I hope.

Cal, I don't have any other pics. of my truck. I desperately need to take some, I just can't seem to find the right place when it's clean!

EDIT: OH YEAH, HEY HUBCAP! I need to borrow Alan's pulley puller and he says you have it. I promised Latemodelracer2 I'd get it for him weeks ago 'cause Alan said he'd send it to me, then he went on vacation and all that. Anyway, where is that mofo puller?

Last edited:

HUBCAP

Established Member
Ken..Yeah,i have it yo..............just come and get it mofo......:thumbsup: :burnout:

Just let me know when you will be in huntsvegas,and i will make sure i get it to you.You should come up this Sat. for the dyno session.

HUBCAP:beer:

SnakeSkinner

Established Member
EVO loses steam fast above 90mph, but then again a Lightning is running into a brick wall of air at similar 90+mph speeds. It must have taken forever for both vehicles to move from 100-135mph.

HUBCAP

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeSkinner
EVO loses steam fast above 90mph, but then again a Lightning is running into a brick wall of air at similar 90+mph speeds. It must have taken forever for both vehicles to move from 100-135mph.

You are wrong about the Lightning.My lightning would get to 125+
very quickly,there is no "wall" at 90 mph.Or at least it seemed that way to me.As for the EVO,i have never ridden in one..

:bash: :D

HUBCAP

Established Member
Originally posted by Cr0mster
Top end on a Evo is 156. that is when it hits the rev limiter.

You must obey all speed limit laws at all times.Having said that....

Damn.Thats hauling.I dont think a Lightning would do that,but i do know one will go 145.What suprised me was how smooth and stable it was.I guess 4700# would keep anything glued to the road.... ;-) :beer:

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
You are wrong about the Lightning.My lightning would get to 125+
very quickly,there is no "wall" at 90 mph.Or at least it seemed that way to me.As for the EVO,i have never ridden in one..

:bash: :D

For real. My old 02 L would get to 100 and just keep pulling and it was stock. 130 isn't anything to get to.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
THe Evo I had, when stock..struggled to get to 150...you have to uncork them for fun...a fulkl exhaust and a computer gets them running pretty good...

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
Ken..Yeah,i have it yo..............just come and get it mofo......:thumbsup: :burnout:

Just let me know when you will be in huntsvegas,and i will make sure i get it to you.You should come up this Sat. for the dyno session.

HUBCAP:beer:

PM me your cel, I'll come pick it up wherever I need to. Dyno day sounds cool, too bad we'll be in the Explorer. I NEED to see another L dyno'd with and w/o the C&L inlet tube, my truck lost 10hp/20tq with the C&L....is it just me?

BTW Hubcap, I totally agree with you on the top end deal. My truck has seen 140+ on countless occasions, and it pulls from 90-130 just as quick as it pulls from 50-90. Everyone who rides in my truck is more impressed with it on the hwy than anything else. And yes, it's so stable at high speeds that I can do 140 without scaring my wife!

Users who are viewing this thread