03 Cobra 10K Differential cover leaking

03Cobvertible

Established Member
Ahhhggh!! I have a 2003 10th Anniversary Cobra convertible with 10K miles on it. The car is all stock, except for a K&N cold air kit and a shifter. I’ve had it to the track maybe 10 times tops.

The diff cover seal is leaking. I cleaned it off good, then ran around the block 10 times like a maniac, and then jacked it up and looked again. I can see right where it’s wet where the cover meets the housing.

So now what? I HATE the idea of going to the dealer to get this fixed, but from all the crap I saw under there, it looks like a real PITA of a job. Can the cover be removed w/o dropping the whole IRS??? If anyone can advise as to the procedure for this job, that would be a big help.

Is this covered under the warranty? How long is the IRS warranty?

If I do have to take it in, I’d like to have them replace the IRS bolts with the correct size (14mm?) to get rid of the pop-tink. Is there a TSB on this?

Any comments or advice would be great.

Thanks,
--Bill

Romans8:28

Established Member
Assuming your warranty is intact (within mileage & time limits) then it would be covered. A simple tightening of the bolts could be all it takes too stop the leak. Have you checked to see if any are loose?

03Cobvertible

Established Member
Good idea. They were not loose, but I tightened them some anyway... We'll see. There were about 15 dime size spots on the floor, so I guess this has been going on a while. I wonder if a significant amount has leaked out?

Users who are viewing this thread