'03 Cobra against wheel pullin' 68 Nova wagon.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
:mj:

Sometime back on a Saturday night we're all hangin' out at the local Shuck's waiting for a run when this old 1968 Nova wagon comes creepin' in sounding wicked as hell. Presently, he ambles over to the snake and eyeballs the motor (the hoods up as always just chillin') and asks for a run. I go over and look at this plain but pretty small block all motor car, walk around and check the tires, slicks huh? So, we head off to one of our spots and line 'em up. The arms drop and I launch well with a hint of spin and watch this thing jump three cars instantly. It's dead even through first and as I hit second so does he. The Nova pulls the front off about 4' or so and comes into my lane by half a car. I lift for a sec. to let him get it back and jump back in it. third comes hard with a bit of twitch and I start walking him down. I'm down to a car behind and pulling hard when I jam fourth into the gate. She hangs and I coast across in nuetral three cars back. Damn! My first loss after 38 straight wins because of pilot error. We mosied back to Shucks and I gave him his due so he promised another run. I never got the run though. I guess he was watching me come on hard and just didn't want to try it again.:shrug:

ZEM'S04 L

Established Member
Originally posted by CharlieCobra03
:mj:
The Nova pulls the front off about 4' or so and comes into my lane by half a car. I lift for a sec. to let him get it back and jump back in it.

What do you mean by he pulls the fron off about 4 feet?? If he came in your lane the race should have ended there?

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Oops! I hit the wrong key. That should read 4". This wasn't on the track and yes he should've been DQ'd after crossing the centerline but we kept going. I wanted that win!

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
I'd love to but he lives in another town and came over just to race me. I can't seem to find him for another run. he was supposed to be back the next weekend.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Originally posted by ZEM'S04 L
Probably because he knew he didn't really win, and would lose at a rematch.

Yeah, I was running him down with room to get him when I hung 4th. I know we did a roll for a gear going back to Shuck's and I pulled on him then.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
why didn't he win? charlie let out, and the other car crossed the lline first...that's a win. that's why i prefer racing on the highway...if I feel the need to take up two lanes - i can :-D

funny how you can make up 3 cars in first gear. Also, you'd think if he yanked the tires grabbing 2nd gear, it would also yank the tires on the launch. That's just what i've seen on the street.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
why didn't he win? charlie let out, and the other car crossed the lline first...that's a win. that's why i prefer racing on the highway...if I feel the need to take up two lanes - i can :-D

funny how you can make up 3 cars in first gear. Also, you'd think if he yanked the tires grabbing 2nd gear, it would also yank the tires on the launch. That's just what i've seen on the street.

Hmm, I reckon he won cause he was too fast to make a mistake against and I missed 4th. As far as him pulling the wheels at launch, he might have, I couldn't tell as I was watching the starter. I didn't make up anything in first, only in second and third. The lead went from about four cars after first to about 1.5 cars after third with me closing on the shift. I blew the shift and lost the race.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I didn't make up anything in first, only in second and third.

The arms drop and I launch well with a hint of spin and watch this thing jump three cars instantly. It's dead even through first and as I hit second so does he.

if he pulls 3 cars on you on the launch, and at the end of first, your dead even. I'd say you would have had to make up a bit.

and i don't see what having an automatic or having a steep rear gear has anything to do with it. you have a supercharger and a built bottom end - but i don't see how that's relavant to the race other than you got beat by a small block all motor car. ;-)

Last edited:

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
if he pulls 3 cars on you on the launch, and at the end of first, your dead even. I'd say you would have had to make up a bit.

and i don't see what having an automatic or having a steep rear gear has anything to do with it. you have a supercharger and a built bottom end - but i don't see how that's relavant to the race other than you got beat by a small block all motor car. ;-)

I meant we were pulling dead even with him still three to four ahead. I didn't start making up ground until second. as far as the automatic part goes. I think it's pretty impressive when a wagon lifts the wheels going to second with an auto. Ya don't see that very often. Yep, I got beat that run....

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I think it's pretty impressive when a wagon lifts the wheels going to second with an auto. Ya don't see that very often. Yep,

you should come visit me in the southeast ;) I've seen it done in a manual...except - he shifted in the air...

Users who are viewing this thread