03 Cobra IRS Upgrade

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
flak said:
The IRS was dropped because it takes me all but about 15 minutes to drop and makes the whole process alot easier. With all he was getting done to the car and 2 guys working on the car it makes alot more sense to me to just drop the whole IRS. Its no different that doing long tube headers. Yes, you can do headers in the car without dropping the K member. But if you have the ability to drop the Kmember and do the headers wouldn't you? When I work on someones car I do it the way I would want it done on my car. I take no offense to your statement but I take alot of pride in my work and will go the extra step to make sure everything is done right.

Well dang... I've been singled out here it seems :uh oh:

When you have a lift and two guys that know what they're doing then yeah... dropping the entire subframe would be easy enough to do. When you work by yourself (like I do) with the car about 18" off the ground on four jackstands the only way that entire subframe is coming out of the car is if it absolutely HAS TO. I know what I'm doing as well but I still hate doing it. I took my whole assembly out last year to do the upper/lower control arm bushings and did this on my own... and put the whole thing back in by myself too. Getting it to slide back in on the front pick-up points can be a real chore with the urethane bushings... I had to wiggle mine back in a little at a time on each side swapping back and forth.

My point to pdogkilr was that I thought from the original post that you guys had never done this before, and thought that in order to do all the mods that were performed the subframe had to come out, and that's not the case. That's all I was trying to say as I thought in doing this that he might have been charged more in labor to get the subframe out of the car. I wasn't trying to be "insulting" or saying you guys don't know what you're doing... as the workmanship shows that you do... I thought I would point out that it can be done a different way in case you guys didn't know. I too take pride in the work I do on my car, or anybody elses... anybody that knows me and knows me WELL will tell you that I'm very particular and anal to the Nth degree. I'd say you guys are like that too :thumbsup:

Yes you can do LT's on a mod motor with the k-member in... but that's not something I think I would wish on my worst enemy. When I was a n00b at working on my car myself I listened to someone that had never messed with four valves before and thought we could get the headers on without taking the k-member out. A dented stock oil pan and countless hours later... we dropped the k-member to finish up the install :cuss:

I apologize if I came off the wrong way.

Shannon

ricardoa1

Established Member
Great write up. I know its been a while since this post had activity. But I just go my unit last night the instructions are very poor. Mine came with a spacer a cap with a plunger and a retainer c. Did you guys use the spacer that came with the unit or did you only cap it with the cap and clip?

I can post pictures of what I mean if you dont undertand me.

Users who are viewing this thread