03 Cobra thumping in bell housing

Cobrasb2003

SVT RIDER
Established Member
So ill try to get to the point here. bought a wrecked 03 cobra (front end damage) replaced everything car drives great. Awesome power etc. Car had a 26spline input shaft install and an Rxt Mcleoud clutch (Clutch, flywheel, tob, retainer sleeve, pilot bearing, pivot ball, input shaft, clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster) all installed by previous owner. Now here is the issue besides letting off the gas and feeling like something is slamming into my transmission in higher gears. When im letting off the clutch and starting to take off. it sounds and feels like something in my bell housing is moving back and forth stumbling inside the bell housing. or slamming into the transmission. Could the input shaft not be shimmed right? fly wheel loose? i have no idea its been driving me nuts!!!

Ive jacked up the car on jack stands recorded everything while "driving" it from rear end to drive shaft to tail shaft of transmission. And no movement. Ive pin pointed everything to the bell housing area. Now i will admit ive been milking it a bit to drop the transmission but want to know everyones thoughts what it could be?

Cobrasb2003

SVT RIDER
Established Member
thanks snakebit for the reply. you are the 2nd or 3rd person that has told me that. i guess its time to drop the transmission

MG0h3

Established Member
Geez. I get a weird thumping sound sometimes when I let out the clutch. Never get it any other time.

Are the Magnums prone to breaking the tube? I would suspect you would get the noise more than just when letting the clutch out. Nothing weird in the pedal either.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I know the stock tubes are prone to breaking. I upgraded to the Lethal unit. It also helps to put a light smear of high temp lube on the tube to help the TOB slide. It seems to be a wear unit, just like the clutch and TOB. If all goes well, the clutch should be the first thing to wear out, but sadly, that's not always the case. I'm sure that keeping a preload on the TOB doesn't help either.

Users who are viewing this thread