'03 Cobra vs. Unknown Year VW Golf and GTO

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I haven't posted in forever because racing where I live is non-existent. My life is spent working out my left leg pushing in my clutch pedal while sitting in traffic that makes me want to commit murder in ways that only the depraved would think about.

Anyway, the week before last I left the Raleigh airport and headed south. After I finally got out of the I-40 beltway, this lowered grey VW Golf with a buzzsaw exhaust came flying up behind me and proceeded to stick to my fat ass. There were very few cars around so I figured Herr Goehring wanted some WWII. At 75'ish I downshifted to 4th and ran up to about 105 with him getting ever so kleine in my rearview. I slowed down and he eventually buzzed by, but then slowed way down forcing me to pass him. At this point I was slightly annoyed. I had been gone for a week and was just looking forward to the next uninterrupted hour of cruising back to my house. As I moved over to the right lane, he moved to the left, punched it and started coming. When he passed me I shifted to 3rd at 70 and ran it out, shifted to 4th, 5th and shutdown around 130'ish. Needless to say Mr. Goebbel's was in the distance. I slowed down to Warp 2 and when he finally passed he pointed at his VW mechanic's uniform and gave me a thumb's up. Okay?

Fast Forward a couple of weeks...I see a yellow late model GTO in the distance. I hit my "race repellant button" (Turned off the Traction Control). When I finally caught up to this dude we were at a stoplight on a 4-lane highway with a car each in front of us. As I pulled up he rolled down his window, mine were already down. I saw his lips moving...but I couldn't hear him talk. Why, might you ask...because of his exhaust and cam that must have had Mount Everest lift. He said "What do you have done?" I said "Intake, exhaust, no tune." He nodded and said "I always love running Cobra guys, I never know what to expect." The light turned green and I rolled out easy. As I shifted to second, he pulled alongside. I said "on 3?" He nodded. Traffic behind was about to ejaculate so I honked and nailed it. Second up to about 75'ish before I was about to be an unwanted passenger in the soccer mom's Jeep in front of me. Too much traffic and not enough road to find out that his little yellow beast was about to rape me!

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
not much racing in north carolina? i figured the show "r u faster than a redneck?" was shot out there because of all the racing that goes on and off the track?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I call bs on your mod list! There are no cobras out there that dont at least have a pulley and tune! :)-

Nice stories I lol'd in parts

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
OP...you have to stay out of Wake County and comes towards Johnston County. Some empty roads over here. ;-)
Raleigh area is to just busy during rush hour

Last edited:

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I call bs on your mod list! There are no cobras out there that dont at least have a pulley and tune! :)-

I'm one of the few left, I suppose. I've got a couple grand worth of stuff sitting in my basement, but no time to put it all on and no money to get it tuned if I did!

Artie1957

Banned

Nice stories I lol'd in parts
Not true! Mine is bone stock!

I haven't posted in forever because racing where I live is non-existent. My life is spent working out my left leg pushing in my clutch pedal while sitting in traffic that makes me want to commit murder in ways that only the depraved would think about.

Anyway, the week before last I left the Raleigh airport and headed south. After I finally got out of the I-40 beltway, this lowered grey VW Golf with a buzzsaw exhaust came flying up behind me and proceeded to stick to my fat ass. There were very few cars around so I figured Herr Goehring wanted some WWII. At 75'ish I downshifted to 4th and ran up to about 105 with him getting ever so kleine in my rearview. I slowed down and he eventually buzzed by, but then slowed way down forcing me to pass him. At this point I was slightly annoyed. I had been gone for a week and was just looking forward to the next uninterrupted hour of cruising back to my house. As I moved over to the right lane, he moved to the left, punched it and started coming. When he passed me I shifted to 3rd at 70 and ran it out, shifted to 4th, 5th and shutdown around 130'ish. Needless to say Mr. Goebbel's was in the distance. I slowed down to Warp 2 and when he finally passed he pointed at his VW mechanic's uniform and gave me a thumb's up. Okay?

Fast Forward a couple of weeks...I see a yellow late model GTO in the distance. I hit my "race repellant button" (Turned off the Traction Control). When I finally caught up to this dude we were at a stoplight on a 4-lane highway with a car each in front of us. As I pulled up he rolled down his window, mine were already down. I saw his lips moving...but I couldn't hear him talk. Why, might you ask...because of his exhaust and cam that must have had Mount Everest lift. He said "What do you have done?" I said "Intake, exhaust, no tune." He nodded and said "I always love running Cobra guys, I never know what to expect." The light turned green and I rolled out easy. As I shifted to second, he pulled alongside. I said "on 3?" He nodded. Traffic behind was about to ejaculate so I honked and nailed it. Second up to about 75'ish before I was about to be an unwanted passenger in the soccer mom's Jeep in front of me. Too much traffic and not enough road to find out that his little yellow beast was about to rape me!
That shit had me laughing out loud! BWAhahahahaha!!!!

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
NC is where we do the majority of our racing LOL. Cross the border from VA. To Mexico LOL. Good runs and a lot of fast cars in dem woods

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Great writing OP. Your one-liners are priceless. I'm imagining you telling me the story over a beer with your Southern drawwwwl and laughing out loud! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread