03 Terminator DTC P0307 missfire cylinder 7

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Hi all, I recently purchased an 03 Terminator with around 26K on the clock. So far since then, I have had 3 separate occasions where the engine will start missfiring and the MIL will flash. It will miss for a couple of minutes and then it will just as quickly go away and not rear it's ugly head again for a week or more. A scan keeps revealing a code P0307 missfire in cylinder 7. I am fairly confident that the TSB for the head tick hasn't been performed on this car and this engine is subject to it. Can the head tick issue also cause a intermittant missfire in #7 or should I start with a new coil pack? Also any estimate on the cost of having the head replacement performed? Thanks in advance, Lee

Juruense

Banned
Pull the plug on #7 and inspect it.

Also, check the electrical connection to the injector, mice chewed through one of mine :(

You can also test the coil with a multitester, the technique and specs are in the Haynes manual.

However, if you swap the coil with a different cylinder and the misfire moves with the coil, BINGO.

Last edited:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Thanks guys, I had thought about moving coils around too, but wanted some insight first. I will play musical coils tommorow.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
mouse turds on the supercharger!

Kilgore Trout said:
check the electrical connection to the injector, mice chewed through one of mine :(

BINGO! I have a misfire on cylinder 6. I took the car to the dealer before I even looked under the hood. The dealer ran a so-called "relative compression test." But as far as I can tell, it should be called a relative combustion test because it's not a true compression check or a leakdown test. Instead, they just run the car at idle and use the car's computer to determine how forceful combustion was in each cylinder relative to how forceful combustion was in the other cylinders. The results of this test are posted in the following thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4972541&posted=1

Anyway, this morning I looked under the hood and found mouse turds (and the grass seed they got into) on top of the supercharger and on the passenger side between the engine block and cylinder head. While I'm dissappointed that the dealership's mechanic didn't notice the turds and grass seed under the hood, I'm glad that it's starting to look like I'm not going to need to have a cylinder head replaced!

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
Yes. It was Fair Oaks Ford. I might try taking it to Willowbrook Ford because they did a nice job getting rid of the clinking noise from the back axle. I remember they did yours first, I asked you, and you let me know where I should go. Thanks again for that info. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread