03 Turbo on a 05

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I was just wondering if this is possible? And has anyone ever heard of anyone doing it? I didn't know if there were any differences performance wise of doing this. The reason I am asking is because my friend totaled his 03 and he is selling some of the parts off of it. The motor is fine but everything else is just one big paper weight. He had the silencer ring removed and had had some kind of aftermarket housing and compressor wheel. It sounded pretty sick and had alot better pick up that my stock one. I was just wondering if it was possable? And yes I know everything is possable with enough money.:-D

Fuxton

Established Member
yea u can do it. Im not sure the performance gain but there is a difference in the sound. Check out fordtrucks.com.

nik96

Established Member
Negative. The turbo pedestal it different. The turbo itself has different bolt hole locations. You can't swap pedestals either due to a difference in the intake manifold design(03 has a crossover/balance tube connecting the rear ends of it). There isn't really any difference in the the turbo(I assume you're talking about an '03 6L).

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
nik96 said:
Negative. The turbo pedestal it different. The turbo itself has different bolt hole locations. You can't swap pedestals either due to a difference in the intake manifold design(03 has a crossover/balance tube connecting the rear ends of it). There isn't really any difference in the the turbo(I assume you're talking about an '03 6L).

That is correct a '03 6L. Thanks for the great information. That is a shame though because my friend's turbo is pretty sick sounding and has better pick up than mine. Plus I would have got it for a steal:D But oh well. Thanks for the information everyone. Just goes to show me again that with SVTP I can always find what Im looking for.:pepper:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Thanks Fuxton for the great link. I might have to stop over there and ask them some questions. Thanks again for the info.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Does anyone know where I could pick up an 03 turbo assembly? I checked in over at the diesel stop and they said to check ebay, but all i see there are 04 turbos.

Fuxton

Established Member
You might wanna call up some performance shops and see if they have any they took off when people were upgrading. its worth a shot.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
IMO I think it would be a waste of time and effort to do it, you'd be essentially just doing this for the sound.

I do like the turbo whistle on the 03 6.0s, but afterawhile I think it'd get a little annoying. Not to say anything is wrong with the turbo you were going to get, but I think I rather have an 05 Turbo than an 03 if I had the option on which one to use.

Im not too familiar with the 6.0s, but why not just swap out the compressor wheel from the 03 into your 05? Or is there a mechanical "bolt on" complication to doing this as there probably is? This might be a little easier than solving the fitment issues of the entire 03 turbo

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Well the thing is, the entire turbo is different. Its not the compressor wheel that makes the whistle, it is the vanes in the turbo. An 03 only has 10vanes where as mine I believe has 16. It creates alot more restriction in the airflow and does not allow it to whistle hardly at all.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I just learned that the other day too so your not alone. The Diesel Stop is a great forum for Super Duty diesels. They have a lot of good information over there.

Users who are viewing this thread