'03 wheels on L - Color change?

BillArf

Established Member
I saw an '04 Cobra at the local dealership today. It had wheels painted like the '03 L but the color appeared to be Dark Shadow Grey. My sons and I agreed that to paint the wheels of my '03 Dark Shadow Grey's wheels would give my truck a fantastic look. You have to see these Cobra wheels! Do you think I could easily and not to expensively have the wheels on my truck painted (now stock silver) powdercoated that color AND have them come out looking factory and as decent as the Cobra's?

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT BOLT
BillArf,

Whereabouts in Upstate NY are you? You've got the evil twin to my truck!

Just below you in Hyde Park, NY ! Stop by http://www.auffarth.com/ for map, mods on my L, etc. Perhaps someday we will meet. Hey, Mike.. did you get you Build # from SVT yet? Mine was 282 out of 4270 with a build date of Friday the 13th day of Dec. '02

Last edited:

BillArf

Established Member
Mid January or thereabouts?

No, not in mid January. Was the same L as they only had two this year I have been told. A Sonic Blue that went to Westchester and the Dark Shadow Grey I bought. They wanted top $ so the one I bought sat there until May 14th when I bought it. I got their price down quite abit by haggling with them and a dealer in Ct. that had one coming in. Salt Point ended up giving me a break on the price of the truck - and - WAY MORE for the truck I traded in then anyone else would. The trade in $ they gave me was about 3 thousand more then I had been offered by others or expected..... so I bought the L. The first L I ever saw. By the way Salt Point dealership service departments Service manager is a young guy and very easy to deal with.

SVT BOLT

Established Member
The reason I asked was that is most likely the truck I almost bought. Northeast Ford in Carbondale, PA beat 'em to the punch and hooked me up on a decent trade for my '00 Harley F150. Salt Point called me a day late.

Edit: Still have yet to get my build date and number and no SVT book. Something to look forward to though. Just haven't bothered to call for the build info. I figured I'd get it with my certificate once they decide to send it out.

Last edited:

BillArf

Established Member
The reason I asked was that is most likely the truck I almost bought. Northeast Ford in Carbondale, PA beat 'em to the punch and hooked me up on a decent trade for my '00 Harley F150. Salt Point called me a day late.

I am glad you passed it by! :cool: Did you get a DSG? Any mods to it yet? Do you like it? See you're into "high end paint"... have you considered painting your rims DSG? Again, do you know your build # ?

SVT BOLT

Established Member
Yeah, mine's DSG as well. No mods to speak of. The thing runs quite well as is! I kinda like the contrasting wheel color, for now anyway. Lighter than the body color which is lighter than the grille color. Sorta goes well together IMO. Once the hides are worn out, I'd like to pick up a set of Boyd's Smoothie IIs. How's your's sound with the Bassani pipes? Much louder than stock? I was by the dealership where I got my L' a couple weels ago and they've got two DSG '03s in the showroom!

SVT BOLT

Established Member
When I traded my Harley F150 I kept the Leer tonneau cover and have yet to shoot it to match the truck. Other projects taking priority and I've got the factory soft tonneau on the truck for now. I'll probably shoot it this coming winter. If you're willing to wait and want your wheels painted let me know and I'll hook you up. If you could get them to Monticello, I work there on a regular basis.

BillArf

Established Member
Yeah, mine's DSG as well. No mods to speak of. The thing runs quite well as is! I kinda like the contrasting wheel color, for now anyway. Lighter than the body color which is lighter than the grille color. Sorta goes well together IMO. Once the hides are worn out, I'd like to pick up a set of Boyd's Smoothie IIs. How's your's sound with the Bassani pipes? Much louder than stock? I was by the dealership where I got my L' a couple weels ago and they've got two DSG '03s in the showroom!

Agreed, the L is quite the truck without mods. In regard to the DSG wheel color I saw the Cobra '04 DSG wheel next ot my truck and YES, it would look sharp. I do agree though the stock color scheme of the DSG is great. As far as the Bassani exhaust... Now that makes a difference. Louder then stock for sure but a pleasant loud.... a deep rumble. As for mods.. I HAVE TO STOP SPENDING MONEY ON THAT TRUCK! It is addicting to say the least. Did the same thing to my Harley and had to force myself to stop spending as I will never get the $ back out of it.. About the L... there is a Sonic in Middletown a little ways from me and an '01 just down the road and that is all the L's i have seen locally since I bought mine. I saw a new Sonic on a lot near Albany a month or so ago. I know Danbury, CT had a Sonic in June but I am sure that is sold..

BillArf

Established Member
When I traded my Harley F150 I kept the Leer tonneau cover and have yet to shoot it to match the truck. Other projects taking priority and I've got the factory soft tonneau on the truck for now. I'll probably shoot it this coming winter. If you're willing to wait and want your wheels painted let me know and I'll hook you up. If you could get them to Monticello, I work there on a regular basis.

I am considering on getting them done. Do you think paint or powdercoat would be the best way to go. That inner plastic light grey piece on the wheel, I would want to get that painted. Monticello is not that far away. I was thinking Winter would be a good time to do the color change on them. I have an old Toyota beater I am using as a bad weather ride. Do you think the final result on the wheels would be as decent as factory. Any way to keep the shiney lip on the wheel like it has now?

SVT BOLT

Established Member
I think paint would be durable enough for the rims since they're painted as stock. I would most likely use Nitram urethane since it's practically bullet proof. The finished product would meet or exceed the quality of the factories. I could do 'em up any way you'd like. If you wanted the rim lip left the bright silver, the tires wouldn't need to be dismounted. Otherwise they should be to properly finish the edge. I know what you mean with the Harley mods! I've thrown almost four grand at engine mods alone for my '99 FXDX.

BillArf

Established Member
I think paint would be durable enough for the rims since they're painted as stock. I would most likely use Nitram urethane since it's practically bullet proof. The finished product would meet or exceed the quality of the factories. I could do 'em up any way you'd like. If you wanted the rim lip left the bright silver, the tires wouldn't need to be dismounted. Otherwise they should be to properly finish the edge. I know what you mean with the Harley mods! I've thrown almost four grand at engine mods alone for my '99 FXDX.

Mike,
Would want the rim as is I believe and even better if tires did not need to be dismounted. Think about what you would want $ wise to do them and shoot me an email.. [email protected] Just looking for a ballpark figure. WHEN you get the inkling to paint them give me a yell. IF you get a chance take a look at the DSG rims on the new '04 Cobra Anniv. edition I believe. That's the paint job I want.. Nice talking with you, I'm shuting this PC down. Hey, if you have any questions or want to hear the Bassani give me a shout and I can meet you 1/2 half way or something. Later- Bill

Last edited:

SVT BOLT

Established Member
Sounds good Bill. I'll price out the extra paint and materials and get with you on it. You'll make out pretty good since I'm buying the paint for my tonneau anyway and a bit extra won't be much so far as paint goes. Good talking with you!

Later

LightningPhil

Established Member
Just my $0.02 on this matter. I had the notion of powder coating my rims black at one point, until my brother found a pic of another L that had that done... No good... would look like garbage on my truck. I love the 02 rims the best, and I haven't found anything that is anything near as good. I'm considering getting my rims sandblasted, and bringing them to this local powdercoating shop (less than 2 blocks from my house) They quoted me $40.00 per rim to powder coat in basic colors, custom colors they said around $50.00-$60.00 per rim. So that's still not bad. They don't have a blasting area, so it would have to be done before bringing it to them. I'm considering getting the silver to match the stripes on my truck which are mercedes silver, so I'm gonna see how close they can get it. I wouldn't really care too much, except this one day I was pulling up to a jobsite, and curb-rashed the passenger side rims a bit... not horrible, but I know it's there and it bothers me. I guess that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread