04 Cobra Shortblock with 2V Heads

LaserRed02GT

Established Member
I just bought a 2004 Mustang Cobra forged shortblock for my 2002 Mustang GT. I plan on swapping over all my 2v parts. Heads, timing cover, etc. I know the compression with the heads with be around 9.5 to 1. I also have a procharger D1sc to install, which is the reason I bought the shortblock to handle the power. I know I will need a 8 bolt flywheel. My question is has anyone of you done this swap? I know everything will bolt up for the most part because there both Romeo blocks. Also what else do I need to know when doing this swap? I think that I will need a oil cooler adapter also? Any information that you could give me to help me with this swap would be appreciated. Thanks

Duncan

Established Member
I just bought a 2004 Mustang Cobra forged shortblock for my 2002 Mustang GT. I plan on swapping over all my 2v parts. Heads, timing cover, etc. I know the compression with the heads with be around 9.5 to 1. I also have a procharger D1sc to install, which is the reason I bought the shortblock to handle the power. I know I will need a 8 bolt flywheel. My question is has anyone of you done this swap? I know everything will bolt up for the most part because there both Romeo blocks. Also what else do I need to know when doing this swap? I think that I will need a oil cooler adapter also? Any information that you could give me to help me with this swap would be appreciated. Thanks

I also went this route and the only regret I have is that i wished i spent the extra cash and bought the cobra heads, intake, etc. You can run more timing with the DOHC heads on pump gas and they also flow as much (if not more) than worked 2v heads. I dont think there is anything else other than what you have mentioned that would be needed (i dont believe I had to do the oil cooler adapter on mine).

With all that being said I have a buddy that also went this route and his nimbers are much better than mine, he is running the D-1 (I have the F-1) and he makes 50-60 more rwhp than I do (i am still working out minor bugs on mine). Last I heard, his 2000 GT dyno'd at 666rwhp on a higher octane and over 600 on 93 pump. He has all the same add on's as I do (worked 2v heads, blower cams, upper/lower intake, etc...). I want to say he is either running a 2.8 or 3.0 pulley and is seeing 18-20psi

I am in the process of converting my 99 GT to E85 (waiting on 80lb injectors) and I will cure my issue of not being able to run as much timing on pump 93 (which is currently only 12* timing at WOT).

Here is a recent picture of my setup
Cleanfinally-1.jpg

Last edited:

LaserRed02GT

Established Member
I also went this route and the only regret I have is that i wished i spent the extra cash and bought the cobra heads, intake, etc. You can run more timing with the DOHC heads on pump gas and they also flow as much (if not more) than worked 2v heads. I dont think there is anything else other than what you have mentioned that would be needed (i dont believe I had to do the oil cooler adapter on mine).

With all that being said I have a buddy that also went this route and his nimbers are much better than mine, he is running the D-1 (I have the F-1) and he makes 50-60 more rwhp than I do (i am still working out minor bugs on mine). Last I heard, his 2000 GT dyno'd at 666rwhp on a higher octane and over 600 on 93 pump. He has all the same add on's as I do (worked 2v heads, blower cams, upper/lower intake, etc...). I want to say he is either running a 2.8 or 3.0 pulley and is seeing 18-20psi

I am in the process of converting my 99 GT to E85 (waiting on 80lb injectors) and I will cure my issue of not being able to run as much timing on pump 93 (which is currently only 12* timing at WOT).

Here is a recent picture of my setup
Cleanfinally-1.jpg

Build looks sweet man! My goal is actually 600rwhp on 93. I really would like to put a 4V top end but thats out of the budget right now since I just bought that D1SC procharger and shortblock. I guess I will have to see if I need that oil cooler adapter or not. What kind of blower cams is your friend running? Great numbers BTW

Duncan

Established Member
Build looks sweet man! My goal is actually 600rwhp on 93. I really would like to put a 4V top end but thats out of the budget right now since I just bought that D1SC procharger and shortblock. I guess I will have to see if I need that oil cooler adapter or not. What kind of blower cams is your friend running? Great numbers BTW

Not sure on the cams, but he is running the Reichard intake with the D-1.

Users who are viewing this thread