04 GT 2v

Sluggie24

Established Member
From what I understand getting a good full port job on your Pi heads would put you over 500 whp if yours are currently stock.

If max power without money being a concern is where you're at, then fully ported TFS heads are the way to go and would probably get you twice the power gain that ported Pi heads would.

Jlax

Thanks fellas.. I was looking last night on TFS website at some different sets..Thats probably the way I'm gonna go.. I'm gonna try and end up in mid to upper 500'swhp and thn let it be..So heads and maybe header, seeing I only have cat backs,

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
A good set of ported pi heads, cams, and headers should get you where you want, and cost less. But the TFS seem to really make power, especially if you want to turn lots of rpm.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Stock castings are your choke point despite the porting. Check with the big names about ported trickflow heads. Mine are from MMR and they did a great job. Foxlake, Livernois and others do great work as well

StrayBullitt

Established Member
+1 for ported TFS if budget allows.

There are other benefits of running them other than just better cfm. You can use either style valve cover, they have replaceable cam bearings, better combustion chamber.. should allow for a little more timing advance.. a bump in compression, better Intake valve angle in terms of more ptv clearance, you can run more cam without notching pistons. Good valve springs pre installed. I also want to say they have more threads in the spark plug bosses.

Only couple issues I can tell you are that the front cover does not fit very well to them, you will have to rtv the heck out of the front cover to get a seal. 2nd is that the passenger side timing chain tensioner will give you some fitment issues. You will have to grind or file down the tensioner plunger to get some clearance.. not a big deal really.

I didn't have this particular issue, but someone I know did. One of the oil passage plugs at the back of one of the heads was not properly sealed from factory and it hemorrhaged oil on them at startup. Due to the location they had to completely take the head back off to repair that.

Not sure if TFS has addressed any of these issues on newer castings.

Good luck on your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
+1 for ported TFS if budget allows.

There are other benefits of running them other than just better cfm. You can use either style valve cover, they have replaceable cam bearings, better combustion chamber.. should allow for a little more timing advance.. a bump in compression, better Intake valve angle in terms of more ptv clearance, you can run more cam without notching pistons. Good valve springs pre installed. I also want to say they have more threads in the spark plug bosses.

Only couple issues I can tell you are that the front cover does not fit very well to them, you will have to rtv the heck out of the front cover to get a seal. 2nd is that the passenger side timing chain tensioner will give you some fitment issues. You will have to grind or file down the tensioner plunger to get some clearance.. not a big deal really.

I didn't have this particular issue, but someone I know did. One of the oil passage plugs at the back of one of the heads was not properly sealed from factory and it hemorrhaged oil on them at startup. Due to the location they had to completely take the head back off to repair that.

Not sure if TFS has addressed any of these issues on newer castings.

Good luck on your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
What year of castings that have issues... up to what year that you know of?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
The only issue I have had with mine is that the moroso sheet aluminum valve covers don't fit, had to clearance a LOT around the cam journals.

SOHC_GT

Has anyone experienced tuning issues? Such as not making the advertised power? I did some research and found that the L&M discovered that the totally different valve geometry used in the trickflow heads doesn't work right with cams meant for PI engines. Just trying to see if anyone else has heard/experienced this.

Users who are viewing this thread