05 Mustang looks like mid 70's Mustang II?

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
It looks like the POS Cobra II Farah drove in Charlies Angels. But hey for the time it was a good 14 second car - 14 seconds to 60MPH!

Whiskey City

Established Member
Originally posted by 69cobrajet
I can see where they are trying to make it resemble it.However,that thing will never look or run as good, or be worth as much ,or have as much carisma as a 69 428cobrajet mach1.I personally wish they would have kept moving forward with the style instead of ripping off a classic.;-)

Ford wasn't trying to reporduce the '69 Mach 1, they were just taking some classic Mustang styling cues. Just like the T'bird, VW bug and Mini Cooper to name a few. Everyone got all jucy in the shorts in '94 when Ford brought back the three-piece tail lamps and (fake-ass) rocker vents. What's the difference?

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
69cobrajet said:
I can see where they are trying to make it resemble it.However,that thing will never look or run as good, or be worth as much ,or have as much carisma as a 69 428cobrajet mach1.I personally wish they would have kept moving forward with the style instead of ripping off a classic.;-)

You can't rip off your own creation. As far as I'm concerned, you can scrap every Mustang made between 71-98. The 99-04's are barely tollerable(and I've owned 5 of em myself from 86-02). The 05 finally picks up where the original left off a long time ago.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
drmustang said:
The 05 GT looks good in pictures. The GT is a not impressive at all when seen on the street. Way to flat and conservative.

Maybe a few plastic boxes to look like fake scoops stuck on the hood and sides will help :rollseyes

Formula51

Established Member
Functional scoops would have been cool though! I never did understand all the fake scoops, oh well. I do think it looks better without scoops all together than with a bunch of fake ones.

Whiskey City

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Functional scoops would have been cool though! I never did understand all the fake scoops, oh well. I do think it looks better without scoops all together than with a bunch of fake ones.

IMO, the height of fake-ass scoops is that plastic junk on the Mach 1. What the hell is the point of cuting a hole in the hood, making a shaker scoop and foam seals if the air intake is in the fender? :nonono:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
The 05 looks like a mid 70's Mustang II?

Someone is definitely smoking some wacky weed. :nonono:

Formula51

Established Member
Wow! I never looked that closely at the Mach1's. I just figured a shaker hood on a performance Mustang would be functional without even thinking twice. Damn, I can't believe its not. Why go through all that trouble and not make it functional, mind-boggling?

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Actually the idea of a 'shaker' or open ram hood intake is based on the prinicipals of a 'poor-mans supercharger'. They used the same castings as the original 69 Mach 1's shaker, and ironically yield a noticiable power increase at the same mph, right around 80. It does work. SVT has dibs on all the scoops for the future, along with the body-color breakaway mirrors. After seeing the GTR and the original concept(which is loaded with 'standard' svt cues), I would expect a lot of the 03 show car to return. After seeing the all-glass roof from CDC actaually WORKING on the 05(8 cars at SEMA had them, including the Saleen), I wouldnt count out much of the show car not returning for an encore in 07.

SEMA-164.jpg

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
I know ALL to well how it works, I just didnt know it wasnt "open" for lack of a better word on teh Mach1's.

Honeslty you are not going to see an "ramming" effect or pressure difference if you will, at 80mph. The only way to truely create this pressure difference and take advantage of it is to use a diverging nozzle and it will only be measurable at speeds well in excess of 100mph. This has been successfully accomplished on some high end sport bikes! Hence the "Ram Air" on my old Formula did not "Ram" anything. It was merely a "cold air intake" with a clever advertising name. We can delve vary far into the fluid mechanics at work here or you can take my word on it!

Users who are viewing this thread