1,200 miles.. Engine light comes on?

buddy255

2004 Torch Red Cobra
Established Member
Hey guys, I just turned 1,200 miles on my 04, and my service engine light came on. The only thing I changed out was the mufflers, to Flowmaster, and an X pipe. Went from 4 cats to 2, which was done when the car had 200 miles. Never had a problem until tonight. Any ideas? or has anyone else had trouble. I know I can take it to my dealer and have it checked, but that means a free test drive for the mechanic.

Thanks,

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Get an OBD 11 scanner and see what codes come up. I think Auto Zone stores will lend you one will you're there and you can erase them with it too. The X pipe and mufflers could have caused the car to lean out the A/F ratio to cause the CEL to come on. After the computer adjusts accordingly, you'll be alright; at least that's what happened to me when I changed out my mid-pipe and catback.

apache driver

Established Member
You could also try disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery for about 30 minutes. Then follow the procedure in your owners manual for disconnecting or replacing the battery.

CbraSvt01

Banned
apache driver said:
You could also try disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery for about 30 minutes. Then follow the procedure in your owners manual for disconnecting or replacing the battery.

only a temporary fix...

buddy255

2004 Torch Red Cobra
Established Member
I don't want a temporary fix, if I take it in will the dealer have an issue with the X pipe? I put the X pipe with cats because I was told it would not affect the sensor, instead of removing all 4.

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
I put on a Xpipe with cats and it still tripped the sensors also, you will need some MIL eliminators, a tuner to turn off the rear 02 sensors or put the stock hpipe back on.

buddy255

2004 Torch Red Cobra
Established Member
Where do I get the eliminators? Will the place that did the exhaust generally install them? By putting these on, will it have any long lasting or create a future issue with the engine? Thanks for all the info

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
buddy255 said:
I don't want a temporary fix, if I take it in will the dealer have an issue with the X pipe? I put the X pipe with cats because I was told it would not affect the sensor, instead of removing all 4.

did you also install MIL's?...whoops I see no. MRT sells them. I'm sure other companies do to. They will be around $50 i think.

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
Just go up to Murray's or Autozone and they will pull the code. If it's the exhaust, get the MILs or get a handheld flash tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread