100 Octane - Opinions?

Uncle Snake

Established Member
There is a local gas station that sells 100 Octane. Is there any benefit of running a tank now and again or mixing half a tank? Or should I just fill up if I go to the track? Is there any harm in running 100 Octane?

Silver 03 Cobra

Make sure it's unleaded. I've run 114 Turbo Blue here in NC. I didn't get it last time at Rockingham and I lost .03 off my best time at the track previously plus I had lightened the car by removing seats. I won't make that mistake again. I mix 50/50 on 114 but 110 I'd go 40/60 or even a little more.

93cobra03

Established Member
The truth is all the extra octane in the world will NOT DO DICK FOR YOU!!! The computer is set to run timing to what the tuner sets the fuel for . Meaning if I know you are going to run 100 octane I will advance timing to burn it. Make no mistake the computer can not read what octane you have put in your tank and the up timing or lessen it to make more power. This is one of those mis-conceptions left over from the 60's when you could rejet your carbs and advance timing by hand.
I do not want to Flame ,but i hate seeing people waste money.

The guy that said he was off by .3 sec. that could be humidity or a bad track set-up. If he is set to run that fuel and did not he would have been pinging so bad the would have heard it in the stands and would probably blown a head gasket.

Last edited:

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Snake
There is a local gas station that sells 100 Octane. Is there any benefit of running a tank now and again or mixing half a tank? Or should I just fill up if I go to the track? Is there any harm in running 100 Octane?

I'll take a stab at answering your questions:

All octane does is raise the point at which the fuel will burn (which like other posters have stated allows you to advance the timing, etc).

Running a certain type of fuel now and again, would imply you're running it to clean out the fuel track. Octane doesn't clean. The oil companies add things to the fuel to do the cleaning. I usually try to stick with Shell, Amoco or Mobil. And most of the time I'd rather have Mobil. Usually the higher grades have the more and/or better additives. Which is why I've always bought the super unleaded, for any car I've driven. It's for the additives, not necessarily for the octane.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread