'13 GT suspension for Tail Of The Dragon

460cidpower

Established Member
I plan in the fall to take my Track Pack '13 GT to go drive the Tail Of The Dragon in TN/NC. My best friend who lives in TN has a Porsche I hear incessantly about. We want to drive it together, me in my GT, him in his Porsche.

I know my GT ain't a Porsche, but I'd love to put a good suspension on it to make it really handle well. My car is a daily driver, so I don't want to lower it (too many speed bumps where I drive) but ride harshness isn't a problem.

I don't know much about suspensions, so I don't want something that has 1,000,000 different settings to have to play with.

Since I put a lot of miles on it (30k a year) tire life is also important, ie not too much camber/toe/castor to unevenly wear my tires.

What suspension should I install to help my car out? $5,000 or so is my budget ATM.

Btw, I heard on stock 9" rims that 285/35/19 will fit in the rear, but how wide in the front will fit? What's a good tire?

Thank you for any advise! :bowdown:

Last edited:

RusWolf

Established Member
$5K budget just for the suspension is great ! It will set up to run neck in neck with most high end cars.
i would go with performance air suspension, you can raise the car for speed bumps on the fly and lower for the dragon.
in addition do sway bars and LCA, UCA and i think you should be good to go..

Although i'm not a suspension guru so if i'm wrong feel free to correct me (if someone has better ideas for OP)

460cidpower

Established Member
$5K budget just for the suspension is great ! It will set up to run neck in neck with most high end cars.
i would go with performance air suspension, you can raise the car for speed bumps on the fly and lower for the dragon.
in addition do sway bars and LCA, UCA and i think you should be good to go..

Although i'm not a suspension guru so if i'm wrong feel free to correct me (if someone has better ideas for OP)

Is there any specific brand/model of the parts you speak of?

acrbill

Established Member
I did the tail of the dragon with just FRPP K springs and summer tires. I went on a good day with barely any traffic so I was able to cook it pretty good.

dg4.jpg

Last edited:

CSG

Established Member
Tires make the most difference of anything you can do. Whatever you choose, I advise getting springs with shocks that are properly matched by someone who knows what they are doing. Stiffer springs with shocks that don't have enough rebound dampning will get a car out of shape quickly.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I wouldn't spend the money on an air setup. I wouldn't want the additional weight in the car tbh. I would look into some koni yellows or tokico d specs for adj shocks and struts. Then look into a good spring setup. Or get the RS3 handling pack from Roush or even the frpp setups. Those would be well within the budget and work extremely well.

Humboldt1498

Established Member
Tires are the first place to start--sounds like you might want something that gives up grip for longer life. As for tire stagger, just be aware that a larger tire in the rear will induce more understeer. Shocks - Koni race yellows or comparable double adjustable shocks. Whiteline watts linkage.

Snake40

Established Member
Koni yellows, Steeda sports or ultra lights, adjustable sway bars, good tires with square setup aggressive alignment.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread