15' cylinder head ports that same as 11'-14'?

mechanicboy

Established Member
Not sure if this has been discussed but I read the heads were redesigned, do you think the intake and PD blowers from the 11-14' will bolt up and match the 15' engines?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I have been wondering the same thing, I haven't seen that technical data yet. Whipple will already have a blower ready for the '15. They had the 3D-printed version at Mustang Week, but I didn't think to look at the ports. What makes me think that they could potentially be different is the fact that the 15's have end-pivot CMRV's... which in my mind would require a D-shaped port of some fashion.

mechanicboy

Established Member
I have been wondering the same thing, I haven't seen that technical data yet. Whipple will already have a blower ready for the '15. They had the 3D-printed version at Mustang Week, but I didn't think to look at the ports. What makes me think that they could potentially be different is the fact that the 15's have end-pivot CMRV's... which in my mind would require a D-shaped port of some fashion.

Did they get the data from ford? Having a version before release makes me thing either it's the same ports or they had the data provided.

Voltwings

Established Member
Whipple makes (made) the Ford Racing kits. I wouldnt be surprised if Ford gave them the data.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Did they get the data from ford? Having a version before release makes me thing either it's the same ports or they had the data provided.

I'm not sure exactly what data they have. I do know that Whipple attended the SEMA measuring event that Ford held. Whether that included access to internal engine data, I dunno. I just know that they had the actual 2.9L front-inlet case bolted to a 3D-printed inlet and 3D-printed intake manifold at the SVTP booth at Mustang Week.

10505381_792731997427310_7845163158199038834_n.jpg

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
No DI? Boooooooo!!!!

Why? DI sucks. ask the corvette guys.. ask Toyota who make more power at Le Mans than anyone else without DI. DI works very well if you leave your engine completely stock and take advantage of a small window with increased compression ratio. other than that it sucks. you can gain all of the benefits and more of DI by just using E85. high compression (DI's only real benefit via reduced detonation apart from fuel economy, the major DI driver) is not better with DI over E85 or E85 DI for that matter.

Toyota's 3.8L v6 is 17:1 compression, and DI simply can't atomize the fuel well enough to work. That goofy pocket that's required sucks for flame front on the piston, the super high drag fuel pumps and heavy lines, the lack of tuning ability.. why bother? are you that interested in fuel economy?

Corvette racing found zero power improvement with DI - none. they did gain fuel economy under specific conditions, but DI aint all its cracked up to be for performance. Fuel economy is what its good at.. and that's only in normal configurations.. high performance engines perform much better with port injection due to the time needed for the fuel to atomize. sorry.

Back to topic, the ports were re-designed and I believe they are also larger cc. the big issue with the engine IMO is the intake, simply no room to get the runners in the box! not only that, the exhaust manifolds are squeezed big time and don't have the flow. These heads will be the ticket for all coyotes in the future.. have MMR or LIvernois port a set and they will out flow a boss.. this is just rumor but I trust we will all be looking to retrofit these heads someday!

mechanicboy

Established Member
Back to topic, the ports were re-designed and I believe they are also larger cc. the big issue with the engine IMO is the intake, simply no room to get the runners in the box! not only that, the exhaust manifolds are squeezed big time and don't have the flow. These heads will be the ticket for all coyotes in the future.. have MMR or LIvernois port a set and they will out flow a boss.. this is just rumor but I trust we will all be looking to retrofit these heads someday!

Well that's mixed news. It will be interesting for sure.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
Not sure if this has been discussed but I read the heads were redesigned, do you think the intake and PD blowers from the 11-14' will bolt up and match the 15' engines?

I thought I read they did an as-cast version of the cnc'd boss heads? so that would make them like the boss heads but with more casting flaws...not sure if true but I do read alot..:p

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Why? DI sucks. ask the corvette guys.. ask Toyota who make more power at Le Mans than anyone else without DI. DI works very well if you leave your engine completely stock and take advantage of a small window with increased compression ratio. other than that it sucks. you can gain all of the benefits and more of DI by just using E85. high compression (DI's only real benefit via reduced detonation apart from fuel economy, the major DI driver) is not better with DI over E85 or E85 DI for that matter.

Toyota's 3.8L v6 is 17:1 compression, and DI simply can't atomize the fuel well enough to work. That goofy pocket that's required sucks for flame front on the piston, the super high drag fuel pumps and heavy lines, the lack of tuning ability.. why bother? are you that interested in fuel economy?

Corvette racing found zero power improvement with DI - none. they did gain fuel economy under specific conditions, but DI aint all its cracked up to be for performance. Fuel economy is what its good at.. and that's only in normal configurations.. high performance engines perform much better with port injection due to the time needed for the fuel to atomize. sorry.

"just" using E85, huh? Because E85 pumps are, you know, ubiquitous so the switch is easy...

BMR Tech

I am going to guess that the port shape is the same at the entrance of the port (intake to CH).

I believe that they changed the actual path of the ports....as in, a straighter port.

We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread