150 shot on a 97' 4.6L?

Aaron_T

Established Member
I am gonna be running nitrous (NX wet) this summer, I've had since November just need to install it. There's a bunch of diferent opinions on what the max a 96'-98' 4.6L can handle. I was gonna run a 125 shot, but what about a 150? Stock internals btw.

Oh, also i was gonna spray between 3000-5900rpms do to the plastic intake, doesn't seem like that long though.

juicedgt02

Established Member
125-150 it won't last long at all. 75-100 you'll be safe

are u refering to the engine it self or to the bottle running out:cryying: as long as you have a good tune you should be fine and dont get to greedy about it. I run a 125 shot on my 02 GT and so far didnt run into problems thats not to say that I wont thou. Keep it safe :rockon:

joegt38

Established Member
juicedgt02
Thats just what Im saying if it was my car I wouldn't go over 100 shot without worrying about it blowing. Instead I just went to a blower.

97SVTStang

Established Member
Yup I run a 150 shot and no problems as of yet. Plus it has 95,000 miles on the clock.

Note - driver side head gasket leaking a little oil, but then again I do have 95,000 miles. I am blaming the head gasket failure due to high mileage, not the nitrous. Shure the nitrous didnt help it but I really dont think thats the cause of the faulty headgasket. Stuff dont last forever ya know :shrug:

Last edited:

Aaron_T

Established Member
Things go kaboom (such as intake) do to spraying at too low rpm.
I plan on getting my chip reburnt w/ one custom tune for the nitrous, and one for n/a.
I may just wait and see what I get with the 125 shot. There is currently someone on the Thunderbird site running a 125 NX wet shot on his 97' bird with a n/a tune (advanced timing etc...), and the only trouble he has had is blowing his intake. only becuase he was using a pushbutton and sprayed at too low of rpm.

Last edited:

97SVTStang

Established Member
Look into getting a dry kit. The wet kit is whats makin those intakes blow. People say a wet kit hits harder. I have used both and feel no power difference between the 2 kits IMO

Aaron_T

Established Member
Originally posted by 97SVTStang
Look into getting a dry kit. The wet kit is whats makin those intakes blow. People say a wet kit hits harder. I have used both and feel no power difference between the 2 kits IMO

Huh, that's seems strange. Maybe it depends on the kit, cuz Zex is rated at crank HP, where as NX and TNT are at wheel HP, and are underated still.
Plus I already have a wet kit, which is what I wanted/want.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It is like anything. If you use it wrong you have problems. Use it dry and use it safe and liberally. I would not go over 125 shot. But considering you are stairing 100,000 miles in the face I would keep it at about a 100 shot, and set it up so that it does not come on untill after you IMRC's open. I know a guy who had h8is set up so that the IMRC actuator fired the NoS selanoid. This will keep you out of the low RPM's, and shot the Nos down when the IMRC's close.

Aaron_T

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
It is like anything. If you use it wrong you have problems. Use it dry and use it safe and liberally. I would not go over 125 shot. But considering you are stairing 100,000 miles in the face I would keep it at about a 100 shot, and set it up so that it does not come on untill after you IMRC's open. I know a guy who had h8is set up so that the IMRC actuator fired the NoS selanoid. This will keep you out of the low RPM's, and shot the Nos down when the IMRC's close.

It's not even at 60,000 miles yet. I have a window switch so I can spray at 3000 to avoid puddling, and have it stop at around 5900 so I can make sure it won't be spraying if I hit the rev limiter (full adjustable window switch). WOT switch as well, bottle heater, purge, bla bla bla. I have an automatic too, so I don't need to worry about missed shifts. My tranny is rebuilt w/ heavy duty parts, so it's good to go.

97SVTStang

Established Member
I use NOS and its slightly underated. I put a total of 140 hp down to the wheels when I spray with the 150 shot jets in. And that seems pretty consistant cause when I was running a 100 shot it put 90 down to the wheels, cant figure out where those 10 horses are going, o well. So I guess you can say NOS rates their kits at wheel hp :shrug:

DOHC Rocket

Established Member
Originally posted by 97SVTStang
I use NOS and its slightly underated. I put a total of 140 hp down to the wheels when I spray with the 150 shot jets in. And that seems pretty consistant cause when I was running a 100 shot it put 90 down to the wheels, cant figure out where those 10 horses are going, o well. So I guess you can say NOS rates their kits at wheel hp :shrug:

On the NX dry kit, whats the ideal rpm to activate the nitrous at?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread