$1500 +/- suspension budget-- does anything beat FRPP complete kits?

86Fbody

Established Member
How is it that you lose suspension travel by installing the Koni's?

From my understanding you can correct the traction issues on a lowered car by adding upper and lower control arms. Also all lowering springs are not created equal. Some are just made for lowering the car period. Some are made for all around handling improvements and others are made for drag racing. In my opinion. Giving up 1" to 1.5" of travel lowering the car with a handling spring is worth it for the improvements on the track.

Coil over systems are to expensive and that is a major factor why most people to not go that route. The Cortex video where they do a full suspension upgrade on a Mustang is worth watching.

I think he means you lose the stock travel length, you don't actually lose suspension travel but the Koni's are 1 inch shorter than the stock shocks so when lowered an inch you actually still get the correct amount of travel.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Those MM RT springs aren't what I'd call daily driver springs. 1.8/1.9" drop is too much for me and quite a few others. I'm tied up between Ford P springs and Steeda Sprorts. I want to stay around 1" drop and planning on Koni yellows. I don't think you can do much better for a daily driver that might visit a road course.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Those MM RT springs aren't what I'd call daily driver springs. 1.8/1.9" drop is too much for me and quite a few others. I'm tied up between Ford P springs and Steeda Sprorts. I want to stay around 1" drop and planning on Koni yellows. I don't think you can do much better for a daily driver that might visit a road course.

I tried both, was happier with the P springs.

I think he means you lose the stock travel length, you don't actually lose suspension travel but the Koni's are 1 inch shorter than the stock shocks so when lowered an inch you actually still get the correct amount of travel.

Thank for correcting me, yes I was referring to bump travel. I don't recall my Koni's being any shorter than the stock struts, or at least the strut body. I'll have to measure both when I get a chance as I would love to be wrong here. I know some other brands do use shorter strut housings to help accommodate for shorter springs.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
What shocks are were you on and what was the difference between the p's and Steeda sports? Thanks!

nissenc1337

Established Member
Give the Hotchkis TVS system a look. it's hard to bet for $1,900.

http://www.hotchkis.net/ford-mustang-50l-track-pack-tvs-.html
and at AM
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hotchkis-stage2-handling-kit-1114.html

They don't get a lot of press here but Hotchkis is renowned in the suspension world for what they do and this setup is a one stop shop. You mentioned your budget being around $1,500 and i THINK I've seen this setup running for that amount around the web. So do some looking around but i'm not sure there's a better deal out there.

Eventually, i plan to run this setup with Bilstein's and GT500 strut mounts.

bullet3z

Established Member

I spoke to a tech at MM 2 weeks ago. He told me that they are going to be releasing a new race spring. He said that it will be around a 1.5" or less drop like all the others. He said the reason for this was for people like us that do not want to go as low as their current springs. He did not have a part number at this time. He felt as though it would be released before spring was over. He also stated that they have a lower control arm bracket that has yet to be added to the system.

I am torn between the P spring and some other spring. So I am going to hold out a little longer and see if the MM springs are released.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
What shocks are were you on and what was the difference between the p's and Steeda sports? Thanks!

I used the Koni Sport struts/shocks with both springs. I initially decided to switch because the Steeda springs dropped the car lower than advertised and I was tired of scraping everything. I also didn't like the stance as the car seemed to have too much rear squat. After switching I noticed the P springs ride a little better, and the car had less understeer on the track. A lot of people like Steeda Sport springs, they just didn't work as well for me.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Thanks! Sounds like the P springs are the way for me as well. Can't beat them for the price either! A friend has a set of NIB cc plates/mounts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread