1993 battery shut off switch

ShiftyFox

Established Member
So ive began my winter projects for the car and one thing i need to do is install a battery shut off switch. My battery is currently in the truck and i was booted from the track for not having a shut off switch. I was hopeing to drill a small hold behind my licence plate and rig it up that way. What im confused about is it needs not only kill the battery power but it need to kill the alternator as well. Anyone have wire diagrams for photos of there shut off switches installed in there cars? what switch is good to use.

Thx

LtDavis

Established Member
I take it your gonna get some hinged brackets for the license plate to hide the switch behind it? I found some off an old caddy at the junk yard. Here's how I did mine, got this from Stangnet:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You wouldn't believe how many people argued with me about having to cut off the alternator as well as the batt to kill the car, so we left alt. wire out at first and I proved it to 'em as the car kept running after we flipped the switch.. duh!

LtDavis

Established Member
Oh and do you mind if I ask what relocation kit you're going with or are you doing it custom? For what its worth I went with the 1-gauge welding cable Taylor kit from Summit and haven't had any problems. Whereas some friends went with the 4-gauge kits from Steeda and the likes and the car would barely turn over.

sisky wolf

Established Member
If you want to hide the switch..I mounted a spring loaded license plate on my 98 Cobra mounted the switch behind the plate ...just mark the location of the switch when you hit the track

10005153.jpg

Last edited:

LtDavis

Established Member
My battery was already relocated when i bought it, seem to be fine so far. I havent ordered a battery shut off switch yet. Did you go with a moroso?

Yes, the Moroso 74102 has the extra terminals to run wire to the alternator and seems to be a pretty good one.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
So the tech guys at the track really let that fly?
In road racing it has to be near the driver's door or cowl and you have to have a big goofball slashed "E" next to it.

LtDavis

Established Member
So the tech guys at the track really let that fly?
In road racing it has to be near the driver's door or cowl and you have to have a big goofball slashed "E" next to it.

The two tracks I went to around here didn't say anything about it. I had the hatch popped so he could look at the bottle and battery and he spotted the switch himself and pulled the license plate down for a better look and that was it. I asked him if he wanted me to start it up to test that it works and he declined... They're known for being pretty lax but I imagine in an actual sanctioned racing body they'd be more strict.

sisky wolf

Established Member
Just identify the location with marking pen on adhesive tape mark and arrow showing location..Most times if there is a fire the track personnel will be the ones to the car first...unless your in the middle of the track..never had any problems

Road racing is a horse of a differen't color....I can see where the tech guys might want the cut off switch close to the driver

PS. Makes for a good anti theft ....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread