1995 Cobra R/2014 Fiesta ST comparo

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't drive my '95 R very often but had to get the emissions test done today. Which it passed even though there is no cat and it is supercharged. In any event, since I have put 3K miles on the Fiesta it was an interesting change driving the Cobra.

The Fiesta is much more flickable than the Cobra. It just feels more solid and responsive. The pedal placement is much better in the Fiesta as well. For what the '95 R is the pedals are way off for any decent heel/toe shifting. The clutch was giving my leg a hell of a work out over the Fiesta also. The Fiesta clutch practically has no resistance in comparison. They both take turns very well. I have a feeling that if I was not on the original 1995 tires that the Cobra would take turns much faster than the Fiesta. Acceleration wise, no comparison. My Cobra runs like hell. The Cobra is more comfortable as well. The stock V6 seats are like riding in Grandma's LTD. If they weren't micro fiber like material you would slide right off of them though. The Fiesta makes a better daily driver though. With no radio or sound deadening material you feel like your riding in a work van.

It is interesting how these two cars both give me great pleasure to drive but are so different. I don't think I'll be selling either one for a while.

EZRIDN

Established Member
Interesting, liked hearing about this. Which one, if you HAD to pick, is more fun to drive.

MadMoose

Established Member
I sold my 2013 5.0 and picked up the Fiesta ST. Don't miss the mustang at all. The ST is a ton of fun to drive, I like it MUCH better than the Focus ST. It's like driving a go kart :D Only thing I wish it had is more top end power.
That said, the primary reason I got this car is its saving several hundred $$ a month over the Mustang and I want to pick up the new SVT mustang or M3 in a couple years.

EZRIDN

Established Member
I sold my 2013 5.0 and picked up the Fiesta ST. Don't miss the mustang at all. The ST is a ton of fun to drive, I like it MUCH better than the Focus ST. It's like driving a go kart :D Only thing I wish it had is more top end power.
That said, the primary reason I got this car is its saving several hundred $$ a month over the Mustang and I want to pick up the new SVT mustang or M3 in a couple years.

Yea cool! Sometimes I think about getting this car but afraid that I would miss the rear drive you know?

MadMoose

Established Member
Yeah I know what you mean. I think part of the reason I like the fiesta so much is it's power seems to be in a sort of sweet spot for fwd. it feels decently quick and yet doesn't have the terrible wheel hop and torque steer that made me want to light my focus st on fire. I definitely do want to get a big hp rwd or awd car in the future though and either keep
The fiesta as a daily driver or trade it in (Maybe keep the fiesta and get a used Z06? :D )
It is a really fun car for sure though

wheelhopper

Established Member
Luckily I don't have to choose. If you could only have one the Fiesta would make the most sense. After all the Cobra R doesn't have a back seat, AC, radio, sound deadening material, spring isolators....you get the point.

EZRIDN

Established Member
Luckily I don't have to choose. If you could only have one the Fiesta would make the most sense. After all the Cobra R doesn't have a back seat, AC, radio, sound deadening material, spring isolators....you get the point.

Yea that makes sense. I saw maybe on Edmunds.com that the Fiesta ST has a combined 34 MPG rating, nuts!

Jaytecherectus

Established Member
Until last week I have been averaging 30 mpg on my commute, now I am averaging 32-33 mpg. The only explanation is that summer blend fuel is in the tanks now.

Weekend spirited driving I average 26-28 mpg.

Mapdog

Established Member
Nicely written.

I don't drive my '95 R very often but had to get the emissions test done today. Which it passed even though there is no cat and it is supercharged. In any event, since I have put 3K miles on the Fiesta it was an interesting change driving the Cobra.

The Fiesta is much more flickable than the Cobra. It just feels more solid and responsive. The pedal placement is much better in the Fiesta as well. For what the '95 R is the pedals are way off for any decent heel/toe shifting. The clutch was giving my leg a hell of a work out over the Fiesta also. The Fiesta clutch practically has no resistance in comparison. They both take turns very well. I have a feeling that if I was not on the original 1995 tires that the Cobra would take turns much faster than the Fiesta. Acceleration wise, no comparison. My Cobra runs like hell. The Cobra is more comfortable as well. The stock V6 seats are like riding in Grandma's LTD. If they weren't micro fiber like material you would slide right off of them though. The Fiesta makes a better daily driver though. With no radio or sound deadening material you feel like your riding in a work van.

It is interesting how these two cars both give me great pleasure to drive but are so different. I don't think I'll be selling either one for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread