1st few mods to a 00 R?

XLR8-R

Established Member
I did urethane rack bushings and Steeda shift handle. I am planning an off-road soon, but am going to do a Dr gas. I think 4.10 gears also. 4.30s might be a waste on this torque motor.

Carter

Andy M

Established Member
First of all, congrats on your decision (at least it sounds like you've decided to get it???) on purchasing the R! :)

You will love this car!! :D I assume this will NOT be your daily driver?? although, with the great weather in the Bay area, you could possibly drive it on the street year-round... but then, you'd have to worry about where to park it so it does not get stolen, messed up, etc..?? probably not worth the hassle.

I bought mine in August and here is what I have done so far...

1) Bassani hiflow exhaust - includes X-pipe (on road) with hiflow CATs, and the CATback exhaust, all stainless and sounds incredible. Get ready to break some windows!! :D

2) new chip - I had mine custom tuned at Houston Performance on the dyno. Mine has 369 RWHP and 375 RWTQ.

3) Kenny Brown diff cooler - a MUST have if you are going to be taking the car to the track and running her hard.

4) Kenny Brown front strut brace - mine is wrinkle finish black and looks great....just barely clears the massive intake plenum

5) gauges - I opted for the AutoMeter A-pillar gauge set - all 2-1/16" white faced with black dial. They look great!!

6) racing harnesses - I completely removed the stock seat belts and installed some really nice Scroth (red with black letters - yummy!!) 4 point harnesses on each seat and they look fabulous against the black Recaros!! I went to the track the other day in my car and these belts really work well to keep you firmly in the seat, where you should be.

7) gears - I changed my stock 3.55s in favor of some 3.73s. I do not plan to drag my R, but instead will do road race track events, so I felt the 4.10s or 4.30s would have been much too low. And trust me, even with 3.73s, this thing will roast the tires in 1st and 2nd if you don't watch the throttle closely.

8) I also purchased a complete set of OEM R rims (from Tire Rack) with some street rubber (BFG g-Force KDW) which will last much better and not throw up so many rocks when I drive on the street. Then when I go to the track, I put on my other set of rims with a new set of g-Force KDs (like the ones which came on the car). I will probably go with Hoosiers once these are worn.

9) front fascia reinforcement - you will quickly see (especially if you track your R) that the front fascia is not nearly tied down tight enough. I brought mine to Kenny Bumbera Performance in Houston and they did a full tie down of the front fascia. They totally removed the front fascia off the car, custom fabricated a brace which spans the width of the bumper (from underneath so you cannot see it) and then used a rivet gun to tie it down even further under the light assemblies and under the car. I reached speeds of over 140mph last week at TWS speedway in College Station and the front end never moved.

I also plan to get a custom roll cage put in my car at some point soon... I need to save a few bucks after spending a bundle on my new toy lately.

This car is unbelievable at the track. And it is sooooo much fun to drive on the street. It commands so much attention, you won't be able to go anywhere without being mobbed. People just love to get close to it and drool over it. It is a very fun car.

Good luck and keep us posted! Email me if you would like to take this discussion off line.

By the way, where in the Bay area do you live? anywhere near San Jose??? I travel there quite frequently on business. In fact, I just returned from there and will be back again next week.

Last edited:

TRY2PAZ

Established Member
Thanks for the replys.

Andy-
The R will come out maybe 15 times a year. I want to drag and auto corss it. Where did you buy the seat belts? Do you have any pic's? What did your car dyno stock, before all the mods? What kind of shifter comes on the car stock? Are the stock brakes good for a 20 minute session on the tracK?

I live in fremont, and work in San Jose.
My local web site is www.98cobra.com

My car I'm selling is Brian 99GT.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ
Thanks for the replys.

Andy-
The R will come out maybe 15 times a year. I want to drag and auto corss it. Where did you buy the seat belts? Do you have any pic's? What did your car dyno stock, before all the mods? What kind of shifter comes on the car stock? Are the stock brakes good for a 20 minute session on the tracK?

I live in fremont, and work in San Jose.

Brian,

I bought my Scroth belts from a friend (who owns a Mustang aftermarket shop) in San Diego. They look marvelous inside the car. I will snap some pics and post them.

My car dyno'd at 337 HP just before doing the exhaust and the chip remap. Hence a 32 HP gain at the wheels! It is mostly those 4 CATs (stock Cobra) robbing the engine from flowing more exhaust gas and producing more power.

The shifter is from B&M and is called a "Ripper". I like it alot. The throw is nice and it shifts very precise. The brakes are OUTSTANDING!! I was into my brakes ALL day while at the track (about 5 hours of actual track time) and they never ever once complained! I stopped just as fast and with absolutely no fade in the last corner of the day, as I did in the first. Now, there are others here who track their R's in some serious track events who have seen the Brembo rotors give up under serious activity. They have replaced them with the 2 piece type. After 5 hours at the track, I closely inspected mine and I have quite a bit more pad life left and the rotors did not have any black scars or show any grooves. If and when they give up, i will replace them with the same ones others here are using. I think JoeJ has the slotted type on his R now. He did say that he is eating pads alot quicker now, but the car stops very strong also.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
1) Bassani hiflow exhaust - includes X-pipe (on road) with hiflow CATs, and the CATback exhaust, all stainless and sounds incredible. Get ready to break some windows!!

Andy, do you have the bassani part#'s, and which dealer you bought from, and price? This is my first R mod / winter project....THANKS!

kevin

from andy's list above. i'd only had a different rear diff brace. you suffer a lot of wheel hop. joej has this and has said it works well (tho doesn't completly eliminate it). i have one and will install it this winter. paul's performance (mich i think)

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R

Andy, do you have the bassani part#'s, and which dealer you bought from, and price? This is my first R mod / winter project....THANKS!

Don't have the part numbers but if you locate a Bassani dealer near you, I am sure they can hook you up with the right stuff. Otherwise, feel free to call my guy at Houston Performance (281-893-6080) and ask for Steve. Install price was around $1200.00. This is for the entire exhaust system from headers on back. Same side exit pipes (although much better looking than the Borla).

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
from andy's list above. i'd only had a different rear diff brace. you suffer a lot of wheel hop. joej has this and has said it works well (tho doesn't completly eliminate it). i have one and will install it this winter. paul's performance (mich i think)

Kevin,

Do you have a part number and/or a phone number where to call and order one of these?? Manufacturer?? I would like to just get my guy at Houston Performance to order and install it for me.

Thanks!!

By the way, I may be in Denver around Nov. 12-13 on a business trip. Will let you know in case I have time to get together? Will you be in town then? This is the week before Thanksgiving.

Andy M

Established Member
Kevin,

Will you be taking the relatives for turns riding in the R??? ;) I've got it? charge a fee for a ride in the R to pay for the food they will eat while at your place?!!

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M

Kevin,

Do you have a part number and/or a phone number where to call and order one of these?? Manufacturer?? I would like to just get my guy at Houston Performance to order and install it for me.

Thanks!!

Here you go Andy. This is the place where I dynoed.
I would ask them to see if you need the bushings. I believe that the 00R bushings are already stiffer than the stock Cobra. I would ask to make sure.

http://www.paulshp.com/paulshp.htm

Users who are viewing this thread