2.02 or 1.90 intake valves?

homestyle

Established Member
What mods justify going to a 2.02 intake valved head? I have a 94' Cobra with 7psi boost. Is the 2.02 too big? How much boost will allow efficient use of this size? What about low end torque? If you put a 2.02 valve head and a 1.90 valve head on the same motor, how will the torque curves compare?

I am interested in possible moving beyond the stock GT-40s. But don't want to buy the "wrong" head. May add more boost in the future. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
homestyle

jonas

Established Member
Here is my take,
I know my sig is for a 03 cobra but I owned a 5.0 for 7 years.

Unless your doing a rebuild then dont bother moving to 2.02 since you need a piston notched for 2.02 The stock valve relief on the piston is for a 1.90.

So see it like this. If you are thinking about a rebuild with new slugs then most definately, now is the time, the car is apart and it would justify getting new heads with 2.02 intake valves and new slugs for with 2.02 reliefs.

homestyle

Established Member
Dished piston clearance?

Would you know if 2.02's will clear dished pistons? Also, looking for opinions on o-ringed heads. Good/bad?

Thanks,
homestyle

94CobraPace

Established Member
Could also get the 1.94" intake valve? With boost I don't think the 2.02" valves are too big. If this was NA, I would stay below the 1.94" intake, unless you have a stroker and big cam.
The way I see it, if the heads are not o-ringed and something happens, the head gasket will blow. A blow head gasket is kind of like a safty valve.

Users who are viewing this thread