2.3 whipple vs bolt on track results

evoryne

Established Member
Hey everyone just wanted some input on my track results. In short i went to the same track once with bolt ons (intake, o/r pipe, tune) best time was 12.6@117. Since then I've added a whipple 2.3 624 kit, lm66 tb, and dynoed 550whp 469 tq on a mustang dyno and best time was a 11.7@ 121. I'm happy with the time but I would have thought my trap would be higher, What do y'all think?

q6543

Established Member
What kind of tire?
Sorry to hear that...I'd be inconsolable.

You shouldn't be happy with the time...there are STOCK cars on a slick that run that fast.

What was you 60 foot...maybe the car is just way too heavy and can't get outta the hole in power.

Mph is inline with a strong mild bolt on car

Last edited:

evoryne

Established Member
What kind of tire?
Sorry to hear that...I'd be inconsolable.

You shouldn't be happy with the time...there are STOCK cars on a slick that run that fast.

What was you 60 foot...maybe the car is just way too heavy and can't get outta the hole in power.

Mph is inline with a strong mild bolt on car

they were on the stock perellis 255s, 60 with the whipple was 1.9 and bolt ons was 2

q6543

Established Member
Oh...makes much more sense

Put a slick on it, launch it north of 6k or put a wotbox on and leave of the limiter..it'll keep you boosted through shifts without having to lift off the gas.

That'll get you inline, probably pick up 10 mph

Kman11

Established Member
11.7 at 121 is bad all around. Why bother racing it on street tires?

Once you can pull a proper launch and not break traction between shifts the mph will come up(and time down of course)

Let us know how it goes with a tire

wr450

Established Member
Mods aside personaly id be more happy with a bolt on car that goes high 11.s that i know will go 100 plus miles thats just me these cars are fast stock

evoryne

Established Member
I usually do rolling runs, I took it to the track for fun.im not trying to put tires on it until I build the tranny, I just thought with or w/o tires my trap should be a litttle higher.

kowalmustang

Established Member
I had similar problems as you. NA my car would run 11.9 at 119 with a 1.8 60 with the whipple and the 3.375 pulley the car ran same 11.9 at 122.5. I had a whole tread about it here on svtperformance. What I did is gapped the spark plugs to .030 and added water weter to the intercooler reservoir. Also check your boost bypass valve it should bypass at idle so your IAT2 don't rise. Ever since then my car has went 11.7 at 125.5 on the same tire spinning the whole 2nd gear. I then put some old 19' drag radials on and the car did a 11.4 at 124. I was hot lapping the car and it must have pulled the timing on that run because the trap went down. Log your runs and make sure the IAT2 are below 130F. I made 524hp to the wheel and was getting 17.5 degrees of timing and .78 lambse. Your trap speed is definitely weak something is wrong. What I have noticed is that even with a bad tire your trap speed should be similar to what it would be with a good tire and 60 foot. Hope that helps. Ever since then I put on a 3' pulley good for 11psi and my tuner is giving me 25 degrees of timing on e85. The car no longer runs on summer tires because it will just roast them. The 19' drag radials are having problems keeping the power down in 1st and 2nd but on the highway in 3rd the car is an animal it pulls hard. I still need to take it to the track so don't know what it will trap.

466roller

Established Member
Damn, 25*+11 PSi on a stock motor? #roddeletetune! Seriously though thats pretty aggresive. Is that commanded or allowable via Knock sensors?

imeyers302

Established Member
they were on the stock perellis 255s, 60 with the whipple was 1.9 and bolt ons was 2

I can't understand why anyone would throw on a power adder on these cars and then think the stock 255s are going to hook down the track when they have trouble hooking NA. I just installed a stage 2 procharger kit at 9psi. Once the boost kicks in 1st and 2nd gear are usless and even third will spin once the boost hits on the stock 255s. The car is barely faster now belpw 80 than it was before because all the tires do is spin. Seasons basically over so new wheels and rubber will wait till next spring. They ran 255s on corvettes in the 80s when they had under 250hp at the engine. They ain't gonna work with 600hp+ at the tire no matter how far rubber compounds have come.

q6543

Established Member
I guess enjoy your rolling runs!

Must be different cultures...in my area you race from a dead dig.

What speed do you guys roll race from, when i had a blower i could spin them through 80 with ease...especially if i was dropping into wot boost...

evoryne

Established Member
I can't understand why anyone would throw on a power adder on these cars and then think the stock 255s are going to hook down the track when they have trouble hooking NA. I just installed a stage 2 procharger kit at 9psi. Once the boost kicks in 1st and 2nd gear are usless and even third will spin once the boost hits on the stock 255s. The car is barely faster now belpw 80 than it was before because all the tires do is spin. Seasons basically over so new wheels and rubber will wait till next spring. They ran 255s on corvettes in the 80s when they had under 250hp at the engine. They ain't gonna work with 600hp+ at the tire no matter how far rubber compounds have come.

I never expected the tires to hook good. Hooking or not from the launch I thought my trap would be higher that's why I started this post.

evoryne

Established Member
I guess enjoy your rolling runs!

Must be different cultures...in my area you race from a dead dig.

What speed do you guys roll race from, when i had a blower i could spin them through 80 with ease...especially if i was dropping into wot boost...

We race from both digs and rolls. We go from 20s, 40s, 60s usually. as long as I work the throttle I can get the car to move out pretty decent with these tires.

imeyers302

Established Member
We race from both digs and rolls. We go from 20s, 40s, 60s usually. as long as I work the throttle I can get the car to move out pretty decent with these tires.

Temp makes a big difference with the stock tires. 70° and above I can get it to hold third no problem. Below 70° and it's spin city in third.

Users who are viewing this thread