2.9 Whipple Fix

Blackmax

Established Member
I'm surprised how many out there have had the same experience and have emailed me for my experience with the 2.9 Whipple install. All I can say is had I bought the Tasca kit I would have paid a bit more but I now see its a better set up. Dennis at Tasca is still coming up with little bits calibration that he is sending me to relieve a couple of problems. He is being very kind in helping me even though I didn't buy my Whipple there. But I will make a few purchases soon like the fuel pumps and maybe injectors. For sure there are others that can resolve problems but Tasca seems to be dialed in on the Whipple. Anyone having the issues can P.M. me.

jonesd

Established Member
I had the flutter issue that you spoke of in your previous post; I had my 2.9 put on with the l&m throttle-body. I also had rpm hang up sometimes when coming to a stop, my rpms would just sit at 2500 rpm and people looked at me like a dumbass. I ended up getting the 65mm cobra jet throttle body and slapping it on and all my problems went away.

Figured I would share my experience, since lots seem to be having problems with 2011+. I'm using John Lund tune btw and he could NOT fix my problems when I used the l&m tb, but he had no problem with the cobra jet tb... Not sure if that means anything or not.

I hope you get everything worked out and good luck!

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
I was getting pressured to get rid of my L&M 72 but Jim Larocca had tried so hard for me including shipping me a new throttle body that I had to stick with it. Yes I still have a bit of flutter and am convinced its in the mass air curve. I know if Dennis had the car it would be fixed in a heartbeat. But its miles better now and Dennis has given me a street and race tune which is cool. I can't believe there are people just living with this issue when it can be fixed. I'm glad your car is now running well.

Pat Kelly

Established Member
Hopefully after my next tune flutter should be fixed just have to wait for rain to stop so I can test car out. I'm on my sixth tune trying to fix flutter in lower rpm. If this doesn't fix it I will be driving to Tasca to get car on dyno

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
These are the reasons why the conservative FRPP ProCal tune is nothing less than a godsend. Factory drivability under any conditions with nothing shut off.

blackshelby

I had the flutter issue that you spoke of in your previous post; I had my 2.9 put on with the l&m throttle-body. I also had rpm hang up sometimes when coming to a stop, my rpms would just sit at 2500 rpm and people looked at me like a dumbass. I ended up getting the 65mm cobra jet throttle body and slapping it on and all my problems went away.

Figured I would share my experience, since lots seem to be having problems with 2011+. I'm using John Lund tune btw and he could NOT fix my problems when I used the l&m tb, but he had no problem with the cobra jet tb... Not sure if that means anything or not.

I hope you get everything worked out and good luck!

Its a shame you didn't contact me/us

I can almost guarantee you it was a tune issue.

I would have been more then happy to send you a tune to prove/try it.(if you still have it and wanted to try it my offer still stands)

Just like blackmax most of his issues was in the tune.

Dennis at tasca is one of very few that I know that really understands a mass air setup and is one of the very few that can tune a mass air setup correctly.

Hanging idles and issues seen like your describing is caused 99 percent of the of the time from incorrect MAF curves and other incorrect parameters tweaked in the tune.
(depending how far off the MAF curve is and where its off is why sometimes a car will idle and run OK with one TB and not another) The TB's move different amount of air putting the mass air at different voltage point in the curve.
This is even a bigger issue in the 2011's. Why because they went to a frequency sensor in the MAF which is extremely accurate and will amply the issue even more when the maf curve is incorrect.

Take a look at this link might help you understand how a mass air meter works and why some tunes have issues

LINK
Warning !! Before you change that tune read this!!

Now for Flutter issues.
If a blade was moving which is what people think is happening when they feel flutter ,they point to the TB.
That is totally false/ incorrect if a blade was moving /fluttering the computer would shut down the car down immediate, the computer will not allow a throttle blade to flutter without shutting the car down.(the blade is controlled 100 percent by the cpu and the motor asm that moves the blades. If the blades moved by themselves without being commanded to move by the computer, the computer would detect it (even if it was only a degree or two of movement)
A throttle body can not flutter.

Screw/roots blowers do compressor air all the time and actually have a pulsing inside the blower itself. (The bigger the blower the more pulsing that will occur) Every lobe rotation causes a pulse

Some will feel that some don't.

Flutter issues are caused by many things.
-Improper tune
-Pulses in the blower.
-Bypass valve not adjusted correctly or is to small to bleed off all the extra air.
-EGR air pulses going back into the blower from the exhaust (this increases when headers are installed)
-Fuel pumps and fuel pressures
-Map sensor
-Vacuum leaks
-injectors, specially modified injectors.
-Mass air meter backwash(air going back through the mass air meter reversion)This can be caused from the blower air pulses going backwards through the TB and intake tube. Bigger TB's, bigger intake tubes can allow more backwash because they move more air....

Last edited:

blackshelby

These are the reasons why the conservative FRPP ProCal tune is nothing less than a godsend. Factory drivability under any conditions with nothing shut off.

Yes I agree 100 percent with your statement.

Why because the MAF curves are done correctly in the Ford tunes.

This is why Dennis is such a good tuner too.( He understands mass air meters and how they really work and only uses real transfer flow functions for a mass air meter in the tune)

Last edited:

raycutchins

Established Member
It is in the tune. I have a Whipple 2.9, L&M 72mm throttle body, and a JLT 127mm CAI and Jon Lund has it running just like stock. You cannot tell a difference until I get on it. I did have the flutter and the hangup but he adjusted it out beautifully. Don't give up hope on the setup, it is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread