2.9 Whipple Install Questions

a_gorman

Established Member
I am looking at buying a 2.9 Whipple in the very near future but just had a few questions prior to doing so. If I go with the Crusher Inlet, am I going to have any clearance issues on a 2009 GT500, either with the hood, firewall, or injectors? I would like to do the install myself and just want to know what I am getting myself into before I commit.

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
i didnt have any fitment issues. I went with lethals 72lb injectors too

breoland

Established Member
With the crusher inlet I think there is an issue with the firewall, you may have to put a small dent in it or you can move the motor/trans foward. the other is the whipple cold air intake, the tube is big and round and doesnt fit under the strut brace, so you can either remove the brace or use a different cai, like jlt, ford racing, C&L

96slowbra

Established Member
shouldn't be any fitment issues.. mine fit just fine. i have heard that some cars have clearence issues against the firewall, but can be fixed by loosening the k-member or motormount bolts(i'm not sure which) and just moving the motor forward. 2011 cars have extra insulation on the firewall, so they are more prone to this

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Guys.. All 2.9L's have the crusher inlet. That's the only way they come. There's no clearance issues at all with the stock hood, firewall or injectors. Now if you upgrade to a larger set of injectors the only ones we offer that fit just like stock are the 72's as well as the 105's. If you try and fit the 63lb or 80lb injectors which are the taller EV6 style injectors you'll have clearance issues.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Andrew, the thread linked above should give you quite a bit of insight as to any installation "anomalies" if you will. Firewall clearance with the Crusher inlet is a bit tight but it shouldn't stop you from making it happen. Every car will be slightly different.

Bypass valve/firewall clearance and EGR tube/harness interference are really the only two areas that demand your utmost attention as far as any "clearance" issues are concerned. I chose to tweak the firewall to ensure that the bypass valve never made contact when the engine is torqued over but most find it isn't necessary. No biggie and I much preferred that method to moving the k-member.

To each his own, I guess. I'm here to tell you...the car becomes a completely different animal, under throttle. I'd do it 1,000 times over were I asked whether I'd do the mod again. Go ahead and commit.

Tob

a_gorman

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys! The guys I have been talking to about the install recommended 80lbs injectors but stated that there would probably be clearance issues. I will probably just go with the 72lbs injectors and save the headaches.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Tell Tob to send you the special clearance tool and template that way you will have no problems at all.

breoland

Established Member
Quick question along with the install, does the metco/shelby fuel rails fit under the 2.9? and if so, next ques is how do you get the 80lbs to work

PRP

Established Member
Quick question along with the install, does the metco/shelby fuel rails fit under the 2.9?

Yes. I have the FRPP/Whipple polished 2.9L SC and the Shelby (Metco) fuel rails. I'm still in the process of my installation but I went directly to Gil Navarez at the Shelby Speed Shop in LV to ask him what I needed for this combo.

He recommended I route the cross-over line straight out the front of the rails with a 36" line, following the two water lines so there is no interference with the blower belt but I've decided to route it the conventional way using the rear ports for the cross-over, the left front port for the fuel feed and plug the right front rail. I found all of the -8 AN fittings at Summit Racing, all made by Earl's. Total cost is about 100 bucks (added to the cost of the Shelby rails).

To make a long story short, YES, the Shelby/Metco fuel rails DO work fine with the Whipple 2.9L supercharger.

HTH,
Phill Pollard - 2010 Kona Blue/white GT500

a_gorman

Established Member
Now, I am not looking to do the whole package deal, I am buying the Whipple, getting injectors and a JLT CAI. Are the 72lb injectors sufficent enough to fuel this setup or will I require a BAP? I am only looking to run around 16psi.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
All cars are a little different, I have about what ur wanting and I am out of injector. If I was gonna buy them personally I would get everything I need to run e85.

Last edited:

96slowbra

Established Member
frpp kit is set up for 17.5psi, stock injectors, and new pumps. bap or frpp pumps and your stock injectors would probably be sufficient

Blackmax

Established Member
I just got my car dyno'd with 2.9, O.MG. its an animal. Stock pump with 72 injectors frome Lethal. My tuner monitered the stock fuel pump and its fine. Without injectors go with a b.a.p. Here's the vid

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-cFTFVcQJs"]YouTube - Joels GT 500 Dyno Pull[/nomedia]

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I still have the stock pump. I have the Pauls pumps on the shelf. Keep saying i'm going to swap them out but just never got around to it. My stock pump is on the verge of being maxed out but since I cleared the 700hp mark not really worrying. Now if I change the pulley to the 3.0 I will defintely change out the pumps. I think the 72s are perfect for street level power. If your going to go 80 why not 105s lol. They will fit under the whipple with no problem. I say 72lb inj and 72mm TB is the perfect combo for the street

Users who are viewing this thread