2 part IRS question

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
First i noticed that my differential was leaking a tad bit.....I pretty much narrowed it down to the front where the drive shaft connects..I think it is coming from the pinion seal where the drive shaft connects to the diff. Will the differential/irs have to be droped to replace the seal? Hope not and hope ford can just replace the seal in a hour or so.

Second question is i also noticed some grease slung all over my passenger right rear wheel and the area. I think its the outter CV boot probably (doubt its the bearing slinging all the grease). I will clean it up and continue to observed it and it will most likly be the cv boot. Now can Ford just replace the boot or will they insist to install a new half shaft? If its just the boot do they have to drop the diff/irs? How much for them to replace the boot and the pinion seal? Thanks

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
the driveshaft and pinion flange need to come off in order to change out the pinion seal. 8-14 in-lb for preload on used pinion bearings.

the cv boots are not serviced by ford. ford will try and sell you a new axle. i do not have a source for factory boots. someone else might.

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
k, so they wont need to drop the diff for either replacing the seal or cv boot? Shouldnt be too much labor then.... so i should jsut get the boot replace right and not the whole dang half shaft. Just the boot seems to be leaking.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
2001gunmetalgt said:
k, so they wont need to drop the diff for either replacing the seal or cv boot? Shouldnt be too much labor then.... so i should jsut get the boot replace right and not the whole dang half shaft. Just the boot seems to be leaking.
My left half shaft gave up the ghost before I had the IRS set-up. I'm pretty sure wheel hop caused the infant mortality. the whole halfshaft was replaced under warranty.
Jeff

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
yeah well mine is out of warranty and i hope ford wont charge me to much to get the pinion seal replaced....I would do it my self but I have no experience with differentials, transmissions, or major suspension work...

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
2001gunmetalgt said:
yeah well mine is out of warranty and i hope ford wont charge me to much to get the pinion seal replaced....I would do it my self but I have no experience with differentials, transmissions, or major suspension work...
When I was a kid I loved to work on cars. I just don't feel the same way @52.
I once rebuilt a three on the floor transmission out my F-1 flathead V-8 truck.
I must be old school. LoL!
Jeff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread