2000 Cobra R help needed

Cobra Jet NJ

Established Member
Hello All -

I am looking to upgrade the front brake calipers on my 1996 Cobra.

I have been checking around, and also in touch with Ford - and for some reason, they do not list the 2000 Cobra R part number or listing for the 2000 Cobra R front Brembo brake calipers...????

Do any of you know if the Brembo 2000 Cobra R brake calipers are sold by Ford, or what the replacement part number would be?

Also - can I install the Brembo R's without making any modifications to my stock 96 Cobra?

I appreciate all of the help, or any responses - I'm just trying to improve my Cobra to better specs that's all - Ford is of no help.

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Hey Phil, what part of NJ? I work in Paterson....as far as calipers, I think you can get them through the Ford SVT catalog....you can go through an SVT dealer, or call Joe at Garden State Mustang in Fairfield, NJ (973) 227-0364 and he can order them for you....I cant say if they would bolt onto your 96 without any mods, but I'm sure one of the veterans here on the 'R' message board can help ya....Take care, Ken

Cobra Jet NJ

Established Member
Hello Ken!

Thanks for the info!

I'm from Vincentown, southern NJ. I'm about 45 mins from Atlantic City and 45 mins/1 hr. from Philadelphia - so I guess I'm about in the middle of the state (Burlington County). I'm also no more than 20 minutes from Atco Raceway.

Wow - I bet your Cobra R is a beauty!

Anytime, if you or I have some free time, would you mind meeting up with a fellow Cobra owner?

What is the Ford SVT Catalog? Is that the FFRP Catalog (formerly known as the Ford Motorsport catalog)? Or is that an SVT specific catalog?

I will be replacing my original front rotors soon - they constantly warp and I already have had them "turned" a couple of times. So, i was figuring since I will be upgrading to the real Brembo rotors (now standard replacement issue from Ford for all 94-current Cobras) - I might as well upgrade the calipers too.

Do you goto any events, car shows or track events?

How far is Paterson from my area?

I'm a Mustang "junkie" so to speak, the 85 GT makes my 12th Mustang owned by me. The Cobra is my daily driver (78,000 miles) and the GT is my project. All prior Stangs were sold to other happy owners... :)

I also collect alot of Mustang memorabilia too. To date, I have almost every single Mustang dealer brochure, except for about 6 of them. So - I'm into the hobby pretty well... LOL - it's addicting!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra Jet NJ
Hello Ken!

I will be replacing my original front rotors soon - they constantly warp and I already have had them "turned" a couple of times. So, i was figuring since I will be upgrading to the real Brembo rotors (now standard replacement issue from Ford for all 94-current Cobras) - I might as well upgrade the calipers too.

Phil,
Just be aware, if you buy a Brembo brake kit, it will come with a set of new rotors also, along with the stainless steel brake lines and everything else needed other than brake fluid. We just put a brake kit on our 95R and it fit just fine, so I would assume it would go on your 96 without trouble.

You can buy the brake kit from most aftermarket companies and expect to pay in the $950- 1100 range.

Brian

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
aahh, you're down by the perogie guys....I bought quite a few parts from them back when I had the time to work on these things, lol....owned mustangs since I was 15....wow, thats 20 years ago....how time flies....anyhow, I'm up north, bergen county, about 20 minutes from manhattan....I guess I was thinking of the FRPP catalog, guess they dont have an SVT catalog, but who knows....I havent run my car on a track yet, but plan on it this spring and summer....mostly interested in trying a road course....regarding the brake upgrade, check our message board here, seems the 2000R rotors werent holding up well, stress cracks, and breakage, when driven aggressively....yes, we can get together sometime, once the weather improves....have you heard about the new road course they are building at englishtown? cant wait to try that out this spring!

Cobra Jet NJ

Established Member
Hey Ken,

Actually I have heard about Englishtown building a course!

There's a course that started in Camdne, NJ too. My best friend and I have been to Camden's parking lot road course a few times already. They race in a huge parking lot right along the river's edge.

It's all marked out with cones - and there's some pretty fast guys there. I have not seen any Mustangs there yet.

I have not tried it yet, only because I want to get my Cobra in order as far as the brakes go. I still need to upgrade the stock hoses to the SS lines to avoid any premature ruptures (which these Cobra's are known for...thanks Ford!)....

Yes, when the weather is a little better, It would be great to meet up!

My Cobra is daily driven, all sorts of weather, so nothing really hampers me from being out... lol

Thanks to everyone for the info on the Brembos too, I'll look into them some more.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member

Thanks to everyone for the info on the Brembos too, I'll look into them some more.

Hey Phil, Call Jon at Mirage Motorsports www.miragemotorsports.com and see what price he can give you. He is giving SCMC members discounts on brake parts.

The Brembo kit will fit fine on your '96. Be aware that you will need different rims though. The stock '96 rims will not clear the calipers. The '95 R, '98 and '00R rims will work though.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Hey Ken,

Actually I have heard about Englishtown building a course!

There's a course that started in Camdne, NJ too. My best friend and I have been to Camden's parking lot road course a few times already. They race in a huge parking lot right along the river's edge.

It's all marked out with cones - and there's some pretty fast guys there. I have not seen any Mustangs there yet.

I have not tried it yet, only because I want to get my Cobra in order as far as the brakes go. I still need to upgrade the stock hoses to the SS lines to avoid any premature ruptures (which these Cobra's are known for...thanks Ford!)....

Yes, when the weather is a little better, It would be great to meet up!

My Cobra is daily driven, all sorts of weather, so nothing really hampers me from being out... lol

Phil, I've been talking to Tony from the SCMC (I saw you were a member also) and we're putting together an event at the new road course at e-town in 2003....we're also planning to get together this spring, and do a little cruise or luncheon meeting....try to get some activity up here in the northeast....I'll contact you once we set a date....

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

Phil,
Just be aware, if you buy a Brembo brake kit, it will come with a set of new rotors also, along with the stainless steel brake lines and everything else needed other than brake fluid. We just put a brake kit on our 95R and it fit just fine, so I would assume it would go on your 96 without trouble.

You can buy the brake kit from most aftermarket companies and expect to pay in the $950- 1100 range.

Brian
do you know what hte part number is? :D

Users who are viewing this thread