2000 R owners: racing suggestion box

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
OK, having never run on a track before, tell me what I need to get started....the bare neccessities, and then the additional goodies and mods....I'm sure we'll get off topic REAL soon, lol....:rolling:
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

kevin

now to get back on topic. here's my preference in descending order:

1. rollcage (full), 5 point harness (passenger too)
2. rear diff cooler
3. water and oil temp guages, oil pressure guage
4. hossier tires ( comes much later after some track experience)
5. (no particular order) fire system, cutoff switch, chip, CLOCK/CALENDAR

these mods can be done without destroying th3e original look of your car. many other things you can do once you've had enough track time that you decide you REALLY want to do this and will drastically change the look of your car.

i would suggest before you do track mods tho, go out at a reasonable speed for a couple events to see if you even like this sort of thing. what you don't want to do is make alot of changes, go out a cpouple of times, and decide it's not for you.

there's also a front fascia fix you'll need to do if you use the front splitter for very long at speeds above 135 or so.

Cobra-R

Established Member
1ST. mod for any serious racer!!!

funnyguages1.jpg

kevin

Originally posted by 1998WS6FBTA
I love that pic, its kills me!

the tactile graphic guage on the right is for older folks (or at least those who drive like one) to count laps per day (lpd). this requires extensive training and instruction to become competent at it's use. if you use this technique properly you're car will never break on you (it's unlikely you'll attain any speeds or hard turns enough to cause even the minimal wear on you r car.:D :D :D :D :ud: :shocked:

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
now to get back on topic. here's my preference in descending order:

1. rollcage (full), 5 point harness (passenger too)
2. rear diff cooler
3. water and oil temp guages, oil pressure guage
4. hossier tires ( comes much later after some track experience)
5. (no particular order) fire system, cutoff switch, chip, CLOCK/CALENDAR

these mods can be done without destroying th3e original look of your car. many other things you can do once you've had enough track time that you decide you REALLY want to do this and will drastically change the look of your car.

i would suggest before you do track mods tho, go out at a reasonable speed for a couple events to see if you even like this sort of thing. what you don't want to do is make alot of changes, go out a cpouple of times, and decide it's not for you.

there's also a front fascia fix you'll need to do if you use the front splitter for very long at speeds above 135 or so.

Can you either post on our board and/or send me email with some pics of your roll cage that Kenny B did for your R?? Do you have a digital camera?

also, is the oil temp gauge a MUST have?? I am getting my gauges installed today and unfortunately, "Auto Meter" did not have an oil temp gauge to fit the A pillar gauge pod I bought. I will have an oil pressure gauge, a water temp gauge, and a clock. I suppose I could just get the standalone oil temp gauge and mount it elsewhere in the car?

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Before anything else, you need to get a good quality helmet with a Snell SA2000 rating. The SA designation is for automotive applications. Most places will carry motorcycle helmets that will have a M2000 rating but I would go for the SA.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M

Can you either post on our board and/or send me email with some pics of your roll cage that Kenny B did for your R?? Do you have a digital camera?

also, is the oil temp gauge a MUST have?? I am getting my gauges installed today and unfortunately, "Auto Meter" did not have an oil temp gauge to fit the A pillar gauge pod I bought. I will have an oil pressure gauge, a water temp gauge, and a clock. I suppose I could just get the standalone oil temp gauge and mount it elsewhere in the car?

Andy,
Have you seen a pic of the guage pod setup that Dean and I are running? If not let me know and I can post a pic. I have my differential temp mounted in that pod and it looks really good.

Brian

kevin

the oil temp guage will indicate if your oil cooler is working. w/o the guage you'll find out too late. no matter what someone else on this site says YOU (and i do mean YOU andy) don't need the clock..

my car's in a trailer right now sitting up in ft. worth (i'm in houston at the moment) so i don't have any pics right now. i can take some later and email them to you. it'll be at least 4 weeks before i get home such that i can do that. or joe can take pictures when we see each other at ft. worth this weekend and give those to you..

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

Andy,
Have you seen a pic of the guage pod setup that Dean and I are running? If not let me know and I can post a pic. I have my differential temp mounted in that pod and it looks really good.

Brian
nope.. can you either post the pic(s) or send me email with it/them attached? Posting is probably preferrable so others can view also...

Is yours a custom job? or was it purchased aftermarket?

Thanks!

kevin

Originally posted by Dean99CobraV
Before anything else, you need to get a good quality helmet with a Snell SA2000 rating. The SA designation is for automotive applications. Most places will carry motorcycle helmets that will have a M2000 rating but I would go for the SA.

thanks dean. i really screwed up not mentioning that first. i just assumed (yea, i know how it's spelled) that was a given to be on track.

sorry.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin

the oil temp guage will indicate if your oil cooler is working. w/o the guage you'll find out too late. no matter what someone else on this site says YOU (and i do mean YOU andy) don't need the clock..

my car's in a trailer right now sitting up in ft. worth (i'm in houston at the moment) so i don't have any pics right now. i can take some later and email them to you. it'll be at least 4 weeks before i get home such that i can do that. or joe can take pictures when we see each other at ft. worth this weekend and give those to you..
How long will you be in Houston? maybe we can hook up?

I will call Kenny B. to see if he has pics of your roll cage? I am sure he keeps such things to show others who are contemplating the roll cage setup for their cars?...

kevin

How long will you be in Houston? maybe we can hook up?

I will call Kenny B. to see if he has pics of your roll cage? I am sure he keeps such things to show others who are contemplating the roll cage setup for their cars?...

i'm in the 1960/249 area today and part of 2marrow. the woodlands 2marrow nite and part of wed. huntsville wed evening, leave for ft. worth thurs am.

any where near one of these?

Andy M

Established Member
Kevin,

Call me at home --> 281-856-7057. Maybe I can get away tonight or tomorrow night to meet you for a little while. My R is at Houston Performance on 249 just south of Beltway 8. It should be ready to pick up some time around noon tomorrow... We could maybe meet there?? or later on tomorrow evening for a quick bite to eat somewhere?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions and laughs :D
I kinda figured the helmet was #1 along with the belts and cage....Gauges I expected, but I didnt realize I'd need a rear diff cooler....This is my 1st indep rear car, so I'm guessing they generate a little more heat than my 68 stang with a 9-inch rear....who makes it and how difficult is it to install? I plan on doing the fascia mod myself (fringe benefits to owning a machine shop :D ) and the cage I'll have to find someone reputable out here in NJ....if you know anyone let me know.... :D

kevin

Originally posted by NJ2000R
Thanks for all the suggestions and laughs :D
I kinda figured the helmet was #1 along with the belts and cage....Gauges I expected, but I didnt realize I'd need a rear diff cooler....This is my 1st indep rear car, so I'm guessing they generate a little more heat than my 68 stang with a 9-inch rear....who makes it and how difficult is it to install? I plan on doing the fascia mod myself (fringe benefits to owning a machine shop :D ) and the cage I'll have to find someone reputable out here in NJ....if you know anyone let me know.... :D

kenny brown seels a diff cooler. it's scca legal cuase ford puts a part # on it.

difficulty of install is really afunction of what ya have. i had it done by a pro and they said about ten hours time. haven't heard from others on that part.

lots of different install palcements as well.

Users who are viewing this thread