2001 F150 4.6L rebuild kit?

sikryd

Established Member
Can anyone tell me where I can get a good rebuild kit for the 4.6L? Its a Romeo engine, as designated by the "W" in my VIN. I'm NOT looking to change out pistons, crank, add super charger, this is my beater truck that is used to haul my dirt bike and other junk.

I usually lurk around in the GT500 section, but also own a 2001 F150. I started my truck up last night after about 2 weeks of down time, and I have a lot of steam coming out the tail pipe. I'm guessing I have a blown head gasket. The funny thing is, after about 10 minutes the steam stopped. The oil cap does seem to have some moisture, but no water on the dip stick.

I would probably do gasket, rings, bearings, timing chains, Timing chain tensioner, and oil pump since I am already in there. This comes at a really crappy time for me, as I am getting married on 3/31. This is an added expense that I do not need right now, but need to get this done ASAP. My photographer is a friend of mine, and will be flying in to do the photos. The plan was for him to use my truck while he is here, but can't if its down.

I appreciate any insight you all can give me

5.0Flareside

Established Member
the steam is nothing to worry about..

thats just where the exhaust has been sitting and no heat cycles. and when the heat hits them it creates the steam due to difference in temperature..

has it EVER given you any reason to think it needs a rebuild other than above?

and IF you were to pull that engine apart, and not do machine work, and possibly new pistons you'll be pulling it again later, to rebuild it again.

You can't do a rebuild half assed. It'll just cause ya to do it again..

sikryd

Established Member
the steam is nothing to worry about..

thats just where the exhaust has been sitting and no heat cycles. and when the heat hits them it creates the steam due to difference in temperature..

has it EVER given you any reason to think it needs a rebuild other than above?

and IF you were to pull that engine apart, and not do machine work, and possibly new pistons you'll be pulling it again later, to rebuild it again.

You can't do a rebuild half assed. It'll just cause ya to do it again..

I live in Hawaii, it never gets cold enough for that much condensation to form in the exhaust. There was a ton of steam and also water dripping from the tail pipe for a good 10 minutes. Not changing pistons has nothing to do with being half ass on a rebuild. I have rebuilt dozens of motors, never a problem reusing pistons if they are not damaged.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
I live in Hawaii, it never gets cold enough for that much condensation to form in the exhaust. There was a ton of steam and also water dripping from the tail pipe for a good 10 minutes. Not changing pistons has nothing to do with being half ass on a rebuild. I have rebuilt dozens of motors, never a problem reusing pistons if they are not damaged.

if you have ANY large amount of miles on an engine. and just do rings, within 50k miles the engine will TYPICALLY begin having blow bye.

you can get away with honeing the cyl.. but it's still not as good as boring it to make it true again...

do a coolant pressure test to see if you can figure out the leak... no need in rebuilding it if you don't need to.

sikryd

Established Member
if you have ANY large amount of miles on an engine. and just do rings, within 50k miles the engine will TYPICALLY begin having blow bye.

you can get away with honeing the cyl.. but it's still not as good as boring it to make it true again...

do a coolant pressure test to see if you can figure out the leak... no need in rebuilding it if you don't need to.

I would be using a 3 stone hone on the cylinders of course. I think I will be trying a bottle of bars head gasket repair first. The head gasket is leaking on the #3 cylinder for sure, pulled the plug and bingo. I don't have the time or energy to pull the motor right now, wedding is approaching fast.

Users who are viewing this thread