2001 Lightning 2010 GT500 engine swap.

400ss

Established Member
the supercharger belt wasnt installed either,, i jsut installed it,, and now it looks like it does usas the maf, maybe without the charger the mass air was too low on idle and pcm was ignoring the maf, now it uses it but bad idle cause pcm is not calibrated for this new maf... will keep updating thanks...

Dusten

Established Member
i need a litle help here,, truck was runing with stock tune, maf unpluged because i didnt have the intake pipe in that moment and needed to move the truck to the exhaust shop.. then i plugged the lightnign maf and it worked better, i think it was now calculating fuel based on maf... yesterday i proced to swap to the GT500 slot maf,, i followed instructions and double checked on the lighting diagrams and gt500 diagrams,, and started the truck,, but it looks like truck wont calculate from the maf, i know it has to be tuned for the slot maf, but if the slot maf is connected it should calculate from it even if it is calculating incorrect ????
because the maf is connected and if i disconnected it will not makes any difference,, i checked with the SCT xcal3 and it reads maf counts but i looks like pcm ignore the signal from the maf, i tried another slot maf and same... is this normal until i get the tune for this slot type maf???

i dont know much about how the ford pcm works , i do gm tunes, and when maf is unpluged on gm cars , the car will run from the volumetric eficiency table, based on RPM and MAP....

If the pcm is stock it will not run with that gt500 maf. You'll need a tune to get it to run. I'm surprised it ran at all without a tune.

These trucks don't use a map, so it runs strictly off failed maf tables.

Last edited:

NCETRY

Established Member
Nice progress. I have a 2011 GT500 motor I plan to drop into my 01 Lightning after I get the bottom end of the GT500 motor built up to handle the power I want it to make.

Pharaoh

Very expensive, very fast is the good news! You cannot use the GT500 engine with Lightning 4RW100, period, the ECU can't operate it. Nor can the Ford Racing Controls Pack either; you can only use a 6spd manual. Any that looks easy, never is!

Dusten

Established Member
Very expensive, very fast is the good news! You cannot use the GT500 engine with Lightning 4RW100, period, the ECU can't operate it. Nor can the Ford Racing Controls Pack either; you can only use a 6spd manual. Any that looks easy, never is!
There are a handful of gt500 trucks with stock ecm's.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
Power by the hour makes a control pack now. I'll be doing a coyote swap with the 6r80. Just collecting parts at this time.

baja5bss

Established Member
Bringing up old post. What long tubes did you go with? And will the 4v swap be able to work with the stock steering setup or did you not try?(from reading your post it sounds like you went to rack and pinion immediately)

Users who are viewing this thread