2001 Lightnings V.S 2000 Lightnings

Lightning01SVT

People, help me out on this one. I was reading one of the posts and I encountered one that said that 2000 Lightnings are faster than the 2001's, I dissagree but im starting to have doubts only because I like to drag race like hell and I have a few victories under my 2001 Stock Lightnings, but so far, every Lightning I have raced has been a 2000 with mods and Ive lost every single one!! My only hopes of this being not true is that my truck is only stock but its really gonna suck if its true that 2000's are faster. So what can you guys tell me? Whose faster?
Also, what modifications would I have todo to make my lightning as fast as 110mph@12seconds? I saw it on a 2000 Silver Lightning at the Svtlightnings.com. Get back to me. David.

acerbas

Established Member
Not to worry. Stock for stock the '01s are faster. After all, they have a larger MAF and 3.73 gears. Its just that the '00 guys have had more time to modify their trucks and make them faster, plus it took the chip tuners a long time to get out of the gate with the '01 chips. Throw the right mods on that puppy and you won't be embarrassed by the '00s.

4D THNDR

Established Member
Just break out the plastic and welcome aboard. Definitely get the chipenfilter mod. That should get you low 13's. A pulley and some slicks plus some cool fall air should net you a 12 or so.

Last edited:

2001SVTMAN

Established Member
If 2001's are faster, why is it they don't spin out of the hole, like the 2000's or 99's? And don't give me the deal about the new tire compund for 2001. :)

white lightning 01

Established Member
The reason the 01s don't spin out of the hole as much is mainly due to the new suspension. It drops the back in more and grabs a lot tighter. Even though the L was lowered 1/2 inch from the factory for 2001. I've talked to the guys that have done the switch from the old ones to the newer ones. (sorry can't remember the brands of suspension) After the swaped the oldser ones for the new ones most of them claimed that they didn't spin them as much. There was a new tire compound for 2001 the tires remain AA and the number is the same but they have been changed. (so goodyear claims) Just look at some of the guys times on ths board with 01s they are runnin glike 13.1-13.4 with just a chip and a filter. Throw a chip and a filter on your tuck and then lower blower pulley and a 150 shot of nitrous and you'll be running 12's all day easy. (With good traction) And make sure u get a flip chip so u can adjust it from street driving to racing with N20.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I think you have to take production tolerances into consideration. Like every car/truck model, some are going to run better than others. I think I have a good one for '99. All it has is a K&N and 2 Magnaflows. NO chip!(yet:D )

Users who are viewing this thread