2002 Suzuki TL1000R 1700mi , mint

BBriBro

Established Member
I've decided to sell my Motorcycle as well as the Cobra and the Raptor.
I've got it listed at TLZone. CLICK HERE for the ad.

rearside.JPG

Last edited:

fatwake2000

Established Member
can you give me some more info on this bike compaired to the more common gsxr, cbr, and r1 r6's. Im looking to get a bike and this one has caught my eye. can you give me some more info

thanks

BBriBro

Established Member
I don't know how interested you are, but I'll tell you everything that I know. In 1997 they had the TL1000S, a V-twin sport tourer, sorta like the current V-strom, SV1000, or the Honda Super Hawk. It was more upright, mostly naked with an upper fairing. Back then the World Superbike Series allowed a V-twin to be 1000cc whereas the limit on 4 cylinder bikes was 750cc. With Ducati winning a bunch of races (with bigger engines) Suzuki decided they needed a V-twin to take advantage of the larger displacement. Due to homologation rules, they had to have a road going bike in order to race it in the world superbike series, so in 1998 the R model was born. It is quite different than the TLS, two injectors per cyl, bigger airbox, larger throttle bodies, different connecting rods, forged pistons vs cast, higher compression, windage tray, different gear ratios, more valve lift and duration, etc etc. The riding position is just like a GSX-R, low bars, high foot pegs, in other words, aggressive. The TL-R is claimed to have 135 HP, with new silencers and a remapped ECU, you can expect 130-135 at the rear wheel. It's power rating is in-between a "liter bike" and the 600s. However it makes it's power and torque at a much lower RPM, so it feels very snappy, especially around town in "normal" riding. I think the torque rating was around 80lb/ft at 7000 RPM, vs. an R6 is like 60-70lb/ft at 12000 RPM. It's only marginally more powerful than todays 600s, but it feels much quicker due to the torque. In it's day, it had decent numbers and back then 430lbs was good too. Now the current superbikes are under 400 lbs. Then there is the sound, it's so low pitched and throaty, it will set off car alarms just cruising by at moderate speeds. The World Superbike rules changed, and Suzuki quit developing the TLR, since they could now race 1000cc 4 cyl bikes against the Ducati V-twins. The TLR was pretty much unchanged from 1998 till 2003 (last year) they just changed the color schemes. The fuel injection is sorta primitive compared to todays cars, it doesn't have an automatic fast idle, so when it's cold it stumbles along for 15 or 20 seconds, sometimes dies if you don't catch it. The bikes today idle faster when they are cold just like a car engine. The fuel injection was also known to be real jerky at low REVS, (below 3000) it was real lean from the factory. The Power Commander fixed this, you can lug it now without it jerking, and it starts easier and idles better. It sounds real "cammy" at idle, very unique with certain valve train noises common to all the TLRs, sorta like Ducati's signature dry clutch rattle.
They run high 10s stock, compared to 9s now, for the R1 or GSXR 1000. If you want the best performance out there, it can't compare to a modern bike (even a 600 if ridden by a professional) But they have character, and charm, and that's why people like them. I had a Ninja 600 and this feels much, much faster, at any speed. you don't have to be at 11,000 RPM all the time. The exhaust note, the intake roar, the torque, it's a lot of fun.

Blown318

2FAST4U Racing
Established Member
I have also owned a TL in my time... a 2001. SWEET ASS BIKES!!!!!!

this one for sale is sick!!!! If I had the cash I would buy it in a heartbeat (sold the last one like a dumbass! :bash: )

Oh well bump for a sweet looking bike!!!

Users who are viewing this thread