2003 Cobra Transmission

silvercoffin

Established Member
putting in new clutch

I have opted to discontinue/give up my battle with Ford over my problems. Its going no where. Ill never buy another new ford.

I am taking my car next week to a local Mustang Performace shop and having a new clutch put in. They are also going to reinstall my strut tower bar that the dealer said they couldnt get back in after they redrilled my camber plates and they are installing kenny brown caster camber plus plates to get the car well within spec rather than just within and hopfully they will stop my steering wheel from hoping around at 100mph. HEY I should send the bill to Ford since they refuse to fix or even look at my clutch YEAH RIGHT

Since I am pretty sure I messed up my clutch i figure why not just put a good one in?

I doubt I will ever bring my car into a ford dealer again so who cares about the warrenty...and I suspect the only thing a clutch could effect is the trans....Just hope my problem is definetely the clutch and not the trans... Just wont go into gear hangs up so that sounds like clutch to everyone who has heard and actually felt it when its been bad.

but I would rather spend $1000 on exhaust and some other mods rather than a clutch and caster camber plates and alignment though uhhhh but at least the car will be the way I want it and I trust the shop doing the work. No dents dings or excessive miles put on the car!

I'll post on the 16th when hopfully the car will be better than new.

silvercoffin

Established Member
clunk

I go to all the cruise nights and in the car club im in too the people with 01s were talking about the clunk. They all thought it was normal though and werent too upset once they realized everyone had it. I know two vette owners who say their cars clunk too cause heavy duty trans or something..

Mine isnt as bad as it was when new but still clunks. I think thats normal... Not going into 1st or rev. or otehr gears without pushing with all your might....not normal heheh I cant wait till its all fixed up.

Heres my list
1 leaking foglights fixed
2. alignment camber redrilled i think it still pulls
3. since redrilled steering wheel shakes up and down at 100
4. once it heats up very difficult to go into 1st and rev when driven hard other gears start to get effected as well.

good stuff:
FAST AS HELL
LOOKS AWESOME
FAST AS HELL

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
2001's had two types of clunks that I am aware of.

The first was when the car was idling in neutral and then put into gear. There was a "thud" and you could feel it in the car. (tho the car didn't roll or anything) I'm not going to say it was RIGHT for this to happen but it happened to most if not all 2001 owners I spoke with.

The second was when shifting. If you were not VERY smooth with the shift it would clunk. The driveline would tolerate NO sloppy gas/clutch work. I found I could avoid the second clunk at almost all times but being very controlled and smooth. If I got awkward the car would tell on me like a jealous sibling.

I have noticed slight tendencies of both of these in my '03. The first is almost nonexistent. The second is much the same. Get sloppy and it clunks.

noslo50

Established Member
Hello all,
My 03 was a 7/29 build date and it exibits the tranny noise, especially in 1rst gear at low speeds and when slowing up to a stop, also has bolth forms of the clunk when you first put the car into first and if you are not smoothe as silk going into second.I called my svt dealer and they assured me every new 03 has this malody. Now i have had the t-56 in a dodge viper which in the older cars 98 and older i believe exibited some of the same tranny noises and nutral gear rattle. The mopar fix for the noises was puting synthetic fluid in which seemed to quiet them down. Well i'm just going to run mine and see what happens since i'm 4 hours from my closest svt dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread