2010 6.4 Powerstroke

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
My father is trying to get back into a diesel after selling my brother his studded/deleted '07 6.0. He bought a 2013 Expedition Limited ($56,000 sticker) I knew this would happen so I tried telling him buy a '13 6.7 F250 beings I work at a dealer I get D plan. Anyways he didn't listen, now 4 months later he found a 2010 F350 6.4 with 38,000 miles Lariat all the goodies he wants. Now working at a Ford dealer i've heard nightmares about the 6.4 yet the few people I know with them haven't had issues. 1 truck specifically 2008 is a local diesel shop owner and he beats the living sh** out of his and just recently dropped out 2 cylinders. He is unmerciful on his truck though so I don't count his as a "normal" ideal 6.4. Do I disagree or go ahead with this for him? Thanks

Franchi

Established Member
DPF/EGR delete first off for the 6.4 with tune to match.

They can be awesome trucks, or suck balls, just like any other vehicle, but mostly if you get rid fo the DPF and EGR they are pretty damn dependable, didn't have the head stud issues the 6.0 did.

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
If he spends a few bucks on some mods it should be a great truck if it had an easy prior life.
Yea, it looks as if an old man had it prior lol. mudflaps, running boards and all the "pop-pop" stuff:poke:

They can be awesome trucks, or suck balls, just like any other vehicle, but mostly if you get rid fo the DPF and EGR they are pretty damn dependable, didn't have the head stud issues the 6.0 did.
Yea, that's what I get is the first priority as for reading up and personal knowledge on 6.4's EGR/DPF removal.

brianz426

Established Member

^ I have to agree with this. I have a Job #3 '08 6.4 with 66,000 miles. I've been running Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic and Amsoil Diesel fuel additive since day one with every tank of fuel except for maybe 3-5 tanks since new. Based on everything I've heard about these trucks I feel like I may be driving a ticking time bomb. But aside from oil, oil filter and fuel filter changes my truck has been trouble free. Oh, I did have an $800.00 climate control repair bill, one side was pushing hot air while the A/C was cold on the other side. That's it. Combination highway and rural driving hauling 1,500-3,000lbs. in the bed or my open aluminum car trailer with a mustang on it or my 22' Cuddy Cabin boat. Low sulphur diesel is very low in lubricity for the injector pump so I think the Amsoil additive has been an important factor in my trouble frree history. I've been wanting to do the EGR/DPF delete and tune but haven't had time. I have a friend who had over 140,000 highway miles on his before his DPF failed. I found out from another friend whose 24 year old son is heavy into Powerstokes (racing, tractor pulls and just plain hot rodding diesels) that the 6.4 is very desirable because of their twin turbos.

If the price is right and there is no bad history, I think he could have a long happy experience with the 2010.:)

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
He picked it up that following Saturday, truck is nice he's happy with it so far. And he grinned ear to ear when I said when we DPF/EGR delete the truck with a matching tune it would be faster than his 6.0 was. Windows got tinted Saturday now on to the mods :beer:

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
I love my 6.4...I just passed 30k miles and my truck has a DAI, DPF delete, and a H&S tune, and I always run around on the hot tune. I haven't had any problems at all, and the only money I've spent on the truck has been for oil, oil filters, fuel filters, and diesel fuel treatment. Tuned, these trucks haul the mail, I can tell you its neck and neck with my buddies 04 lightning with an exhaust and CAI.

Users who are viewing this thread