2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
I've worked at the same Ford dealer for 15 years now. This has been a problem since day one. We have seen many concerns with this and found all to be clutch related. The one's that were real bad, we found the pressure plate bolts had backed out. Mine will not shift properly if it's below 40 degrees or its sat for a week. It is hard to shift and wants to grind 5th gear the first time you shift to 5th. I knew their would be a TSB eventually and have put off mine and quite a few others. You have to be very careful about adding additives or using different fluids than what Ford recommends for this trans. It does have paper blockers from what I have been told and they can come apart with certain additives/fluids. The Turkish clutch is junk and hopefully they offer us a quality replacement. Any of you in NC, I'm in Cary and can do yours for you once the parts are available.

RSKtakR

Established Member
My question is.. is the new clutch going to be the same POS that shot craps in the first place??? My entire clutch assembly had to be replaced at 6700 miles, along w/ the clutch pedal assembly, and master cylinder. The clutch was replaced w/ the same POS that just failed though.. I now have over 12k miles on my 6/10 built rapid spec 300a on the 2nd clutch, rear end whines on decell, for some reason when i shift while just driving around there is a clunk from the rear end but it sounds like its the trans making the noise and the noise just being amplified through the driveline if that makes sence. Trans whine's in gears 1-4, it sounds like a twinscrew under my hood, even when its warm out and the car is all warmed up etc. and the trans is notchy(IER) when cold then normal. I DOUBT the whining trans has anything to do w/ the clutch.. I keep getting told that "the 6spd trans just does that".

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if the clutch is the problem then why does fluid changes seem to make so big of a difference. a small improvement, sure, but people have been describing it as night & day.
also, wasn't there a guy on here that had a transmission failure? a lemon or maybe his clutch problems were so bad that it caused the failure?

hopefully ford nailed it though, this seems to be the only real issue with this otherwise amazing car!
Awesome. This makes sense, especially for folks with clutches that don't always act exactly the same (mine). I wonder what about the ambient air temp is affecting the clutch though..oh well, we'll see how this works out.

I do have to agree with you on the Customer Care rep's though, they are great. I'm working with two of them right now, one on the trans problem with my Mustang, the other who is trying to figure WTF is going on with the 2011 Explorers and why I don't have mine yet. Both of them have been on the ball, or at least, as much as they can be with the information they are given.
generally speaking, heat causes materials to expand and cold causes materials to contract, sounds like some tolerances are changing just enough to start causing problems. who knows though.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
generally speaking, heat causes materials to expand and cold causes materials to contract, sounds like some tolerances are changing just enough to start causing problems. who knows though.

Sure, but that sounds like it would be a trans problem. Unless the clearances on the clutch or so tight that it has thermal expansion problems. But if that were the case, you'd think the issues would crop up when it got warm, not when it was cold.

Unless..this is some kind of problem with the slave cylinder. Maybe it doesn't function properly when cold.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Many dealers across the US are ignoring this 2011 clutch problem and not fixing them under warranty,I know a guy that was given a $2K estimate for this issue on a car that had less than 5K miles (said it was his fault!), he refused and fought it right to Dearborn! Also be aware that the wrong lockite was used on the flywheel bolts and they've been backing out!

Last edited:

Whocares05050

Established Member
They need to come out with a solid fix NOW. My flywheel bolts were changed after only owning the car 2 weeks and it took a 4th dealer to even take it in becuase the other 3 said "theres currently no fix so we cant do anything" when while the car being on a flatbed un drivable. I was seriously going to shoot someone that day..

Now ive boticed in the last day or so, my tranny is starting to whine in gears 1-3 accelerating like its supercharged. build date 4/10, mileage = 3500 and ive only owned it 2 months. such bullshit...

Users who are viewing this thread