2013 5.8L swap into a 2001 lightning??

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
You can make the lightning ECU control the gt500 engine, you just loose some of the gt500's features like knock control, VVT, etc.
I am sure the FRPP control pack will work better with the newer 5.8 as the late model 5.4 gt500's had almost all the same features.

If it were me, i would go with a halltech, pro-efi, motec setup or something of the like. Screw having to fight with the FRPP control pack, be able to control everything in real time without an ecu flash. Full control over all features and more than the factory ever had. Including flex fuel capability without changing tunes. (only downside is it tacks $3-6k to your price tag depending on options)
Then you can use a BAUMANATOR (sp?) for transmission control independently.

You can also look into the mongoose cable, use the POPS racing strategy and his tuning software. This will flash the ECU directly like ford with no intermedeary tuning device.

As far as i know, FRPP control pack can be tuned with a new SCT setup as well.

Last edited:

400ss

Established Member
Probly stolen lol

The car was on a crash, yes he does is a very good friend, and he does has lot of $$,,
I did put that 5.8L in my lightning, worked perfectly fine.. and i put a 5.0L coyote on a friends truck, lightning transmission, 4.56 gears, and 75 NOS, 12.40 on 1/4 mile with street radials

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Did you use the factory ECM? There's no reason it wouldn't be able to run that engine as long as you can perform the necessary wiring modifications.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Free 5.8 motor.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

Now back to nancy in Weather.

400ss

Established Member
This dude's a liar.

why i would lie? i just like to share info, im on nloc performancetrucks lightningrodder efilive forum, and i have done some crazy shit, and i always share so other people can do it if they want, most GM LS engine swap, including a 5.3L procharged on a 1st gen lightning, a LS3 magnacharged on a gen 2 lightning, coyote engine on a gen2 lightning, 5.8L gt500 on a gen2 lightning, a lot of GM LS engines into JEep JK XJ and so on.. just like to share info, because i read a lot on the forums and find info too.. sorry i dont have a good english,, and some ones says i lie because a friend give me a 5.8L engine?? same person person purchased a brand new srt8 cherokee and a brand new JK, asked me to swap the drivetrain of the srt8 in his JK,, i didnt do it,, but he wanted to destroy a really expensive car to put the drivetrain in another, this one give me the 5.8L for free, believe me

400ss

Established Member
Did you keep the 4V heads on it just use the Trinity block?

On both GEN2 lightning i used ford control pack, on the 5.8L GT500 used the control pack for the 5.4L gt500 and tuned for the 5.8L, for the transmission used the lightning trans, controlled by US shift control,

on the coyote lightning it needs 4.55-4.88 gears because if you keep the stock lightning gears it is slow from start to wot, but with higher gears the truck did 13 1/2 on 1/4 mile with stock tires, did low 13 with 90 NOS

on the gt500 used stock gears.

have a friend doing a 5.8L swap too, he used the stock harness and ECM (5.8L harness and ecm), i think they will remove Vehicle anti theft with HP tuners but im not 100% positive it will let the engine start

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
On both GEN2 lightning i used ford control pack, on the 5.8L GT500 used the control pack for the 5.4L gt500 and tuned for the 5.8L, for the transmission used the lightning trans, controlled by US shift control,

on the coyote lightning it needs 4.55-4.88 gears because if you keep the stock lightning gears it is slow from start to wot, but with higher gears the truck did 13 1/2 on 1/4 mile with stock tires, did low 13 with 90 NOS

on the gt500 used stock gears.

have a friend doing a 5.8L swap too, he used the stock harness and ECM (5.8L harness and ecm), i think they will remove Vehicle anti theft with HP tuners but im not 100% positive it will let the engine start

Where are the pics?

Blainer

SVT Poster
Established Member
Birthplace of Speed, Ormond Beach, Florida
I am still waiting on Nancy with the weather! Oh here she is...

Nancy: Theres a colda fronta coming from a uppa here, and a warma fronta coming from a downa here... and it's going to be warma or colda depending on the weather... now back to Bob with the 5.8L...

Oh, and the GT500, JK, XJ, Cherokee, LS, Gen 1, Gen 2... and was that a 3V or 4V?

4V ! - circle gets the square! Tell'em what they've won Bob! :rolling:

Last edited:

hotford

Established Member
Lightning PCM will run the 5.4 or 5.8 shelby motor with eaze,2013-2014 5.8 dont have VVT that im aware of,firing order is the same, sendors havent changed up either,only the coyote is VVT and has no interchangable parts with the older mod motors, do it and they will Come......
only thing you'll have to relocate the alternator as the steering box- is in the way, just flip backwards and make a bracket up for it...

Users who are viewing this thread