2018 Voodoo or Godzilla for a swap?

redbird555

Established Member
So I’m in the middle of a swap right now on my 66 mustang. Plan was to use a Godzilla with a 10r80 however I just came across a voodoo lift out that I can get for a good deal and I would pair it with a 6r80 ( want to keep it auto)

My concern with the voodoo is obviously the oil consumption issue. I saw the barcode on the engine and it is not a 350R motor and the number doesn’t start with a K. The engine has 10k miles but the current owner bought the car wrecked so no history is known. My concern here is buying an engine with no warranty and having a 10k paperweiht

I have seen lots of issues with 16-17 but not many with 18s even with 19 being the first year for the “gen 2” engine. Anyone here have issues with their 18?

And also what’s everyone’s opinion about using the voodoo in a swap vs the zilla. Vibration issues doesn’t concern me too much

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What are you swapping in to? Another gt350?? That's the forum youre in, after all.

redbird555

Established Member
I put 66 mustang in the first paragraph. I’m in the gt350 forum because I thought that would be the best place to ask about the voodoo

redbird555

Established Member
With the Godzilla it’s a mars control pack. With the voodoo you can simply use a gen II Coyote control pack and change the firing order. It’s pretty simple

01yellercobra

Established Member
From what I've read and heard about the Voodoos I think you'd be happier with the Godzilla. If you're making a street cruiser that is.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
hopped up coyote or godzilla, no more voodoo for me

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I put 66 mustang in the first paragraph. I’m in the gt350 forum because I thought that would be the best place to ask about the voodoo

My apologies! Completely missed that.

Voodoo would be sweet, but can be problematic. Coyote probably best choice. Godzilla is too tall for that small car IMO. Would be a PITA to make fit.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Have you read any posts or stories about putting a 10R80 on a Voodoo? The flat plane crank engine tends to build torque and HP above about 3k RPM. I describe the driving experience as "it feels like you're driving a Honda until you hit 3K". With a manual gearbox, you just drive it, but it might be frustrating with a slushbox.

As for reliability and the "gen 2" bs, I wouldn't worry too much about that. "Broken Voodoo" was spectacular click-bait, and social media was crammed with stories. As for the engines with problems, it was mostly 2017's and early 2018's. The etched-in label on the engine will tell you when it was built.

Also, I've tracked progress with a couple of guys who've switched the Voodoo FPC to a cross-plane crank. Yes, you have to change the firing order in the PCM, but you also have to move wires around in the wiring harness. I don't recall offhand why, but I know it's essential. Presumably, if you're using a Coyote PCM, it's outputs will probably be on the wrong wires for the FPC.

Users who are viewing this thread