$3 Intercooler Temp Sensor Housing

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
Finally found a cheap correct solution to installing a temp sensor in the 5/8" heat exchanger hose.

You can buy this sensor at Ace Hardware for $3. I have since trashed the bag so don't have the size of the fitting. The large ends are for 5/8" hose.

IntercoolerFitting01.jpg

Tap the small hose barb with a 1/8th pipe tap. Standard temp sensor will fit this tap perfect.

IntercoolerFitting02.jpg

The great thing about this fitting is the sensor is just in the coolant flow and won't badly effect performance. I do have to tap the housing for a ground, but that's pretty simple also.

IntercoolerFitting03.jpg

Last edited:

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Perfect... great thinking! I was going to remove the drain plug from the HE... This is way better.

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
what is the operating temperature of the the system? i have a 140-300 degree gauge ready to go in, is that adequate or is it less thab 140?
-Joshua

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
It depends where you are going to check the temps, if its after the IC then you may be able to use a 140-300, if its before then it will never get over 140.

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
Coolant temp should be around air temp if the truck is cold. Any gauge that does'nt go below 100 won't work unless you want to wait for the temps to rise. I plan on using a digital CyberDyne water temp gauge that says is goes down to 70.

ChuteboxeL03

Established Member
hahaha thats a pex fitting, i do plumming got many of those at work. Its really a 3/4" by 1/2" by 3/4" inch tee

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread