300 hp SHO Engine for Volvo?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I believe the Yamaha engine in the Volve is a new complete engine....

path914

Established Member
The Yamaha engine will be going in the Volvo SUV. My understanding is that it is a V8 engine that is somewhat derived from the third gen SHO engine. I would assume that there were quite a few significant changes to increase the power as much as they did.

As a side note, it looks like it will be a complete PITA to work on as it is shoehorned into the engine bay, similar to the current S4 engine.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
A small amount of info. is in the Car and Driver Nov. 2004, page 108.

The Volvo which is getting this SHO V8 is the XC90. This Yamaha V8 is now 4414cc's, 311bhp@6000 and 325ft.lbs.@4000.

The article mentions how this "Yamaha V8 has been to the gym in a big way since those SHO days". "The original 3.4-litre V8 of 235h.p. has ballooned to 4.4 liters (269 cu.in.)" and now makes 311h.p. and 325ft.lbs.

This article also mentions how "perhaps for marketing reasons, Volvo officials in this country have resisted acknowledging that the engine is a reworked version of the V8 designed by Ford and built by Yamaha that once powered the Taurus SHO in the mid 90's".

It sounds like Volvo is staying away from the SHO connection??

Robert

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Robert M said:
A small amount of info. is in the Car and Driver Nov. 2004, page 108.

The Volvo which is getting this SHO V8 is the XC90. This Yamaha V8 is now 4414cc's, 311bhp@6000 and 325ft.lbs.@4000.

The article mentions how this "Yamaha V8 has been to the gym in a big way since those SHO days". "The original 3.4-litre V8 of 235h.p. has ballooned to 4.4 liters (269 cu.in.)" and now makes 311h.p. and 325ft.lbs.

This article also mentions how "perhaps for marketing reasons, Volvo officials in this country have resisted acknowledging that the engine is a reworked version of the V8 designed by Ford and built by Yamaha that once powered the Taurus SHO in the mid 90's".

It sounds like Volvo is staying away from the SHO connection??

Robert
Kind of a shame considering that engine is a work of art.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
stang99svt said:
Well the V6 was, not as much the V8's.

When you say "not as much", I am guessing you are speaking of the original sticker price? and the comparision between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 SHO's?

I have a friend who was involved in the 96-99 SHO program. He seems to think that marketing of the V8 SHO was poor. The $29K price tag did not help when most people looking for a Taurus were expecting to see $17K-$18K on the window sticker, speaking of sticker shock, $29K+ for a Taurus?????

I have just recently purchased an original 1999 Ford Dealership Source Book. For those of you who are not familiar with the Dealer Source Books, they are provided for the salesmen to review as the new models are rolled out for sale each year. If you want to know about a specific model, for a specific year, the Source Book has the info. It inludes all of the specs, comparisions, "new for the model year differneces", paint chip samples, you name it, it's in there. I noticed the 1999 SHO info. is included, but blends in with the standard and upgrade V6 offerings for 1999. The cars from other manufacturers that are compared to the 99 SHO like the 1999 BMW 328i, the 1999 Acura 3.2ti, the Pontiac Bonniville SSE with 1SA, and the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with 1SB, all were in the $25K to $33K price range and varied in horse power from 193 to 240. The 240h.p. was the GTP supercharged V6. Of these other brand "Ford comparision cars", the 99 SHO fell right in the middle in price and was 2nd from the top in horse power behind the supercharged GTP, but to me it looks like Ford let the SHO blend in with the other Taurus's and was no longer interested in exposing it as a specialty car to the public.

BTW - I do agree, the SHO V8, and for that matter all of the SHO engines are/were a work of art.

Robert

rpalmer

What's the hurry?
Established Member
One can only hope they learned their lesson and the camshaft sprockets are now secured to the camshafts in a more positive fashion...

-RP

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
rpalmer said:
One can only hope they learned their lesson and the camshaft sprockets are now secured to the camshafts in a more positive fashion...

-RP

Tell me more about this problem. I have heard there are camshaft problems with the V8 but have not (so far) had any issues. What is the cause of the problem? What needs to be done ahead of time as a fix? Is there any early warning of the problem?

Thanks, Robert

rpalmer

What's the hurry?
Established Member
Go to www.v8sho.com and click some of the links for cam failures or the cam failure class action suit.

The gear spins on the end of the shaft and the pistons munch the valves and the owner is screwed.

If you have a V-8 SHO, you need to get the sprockets welded to the camshaft ASAP.

The '89-'95 V-6 is not affected by this.

-RP

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
My 99 V8 has 49,7xx miles on it. Over the last couple of months I have noticed a ticking/wrapping noise, almost like a piston to bore noise but only when the car is cold and not all time. The sound does not appear to be present when the engine is up to operating temp. Does this sound like early signs of this cam/sprocket failure? I only dive the car 1 mile a day so it does not get up to operating temp very often. When I hold my foot on the brake and load the engine when cold, the noise is much more pronounced. Doing this same foot on brake and load the engine, 2000 rpm's or so when the engine is at the correct operating temp. there is no wrap/noise. Is this noise familiar to anyone? If the cam(s)/sprocket(s) are becoming an issue, is the cold/hot noise variation part of this trouble? The car runs fine.

Thanks, Robert

Last edited:

rpalmer

What's the hurry?
Established Member
Go over to the www.v8sho.com site and read everything you can about it. I'm sure there are articles there describing the early symptoms.

There's also a V-8 SHO mailing list, that'd be a good place to toss that question out. I have a '90 SHO, so I don't follow the specifics of this issue since it's not applicable to my car.

I'd recommend welding your cams ASAP. The V8 SHO site has a link listing places to get it done, hopefully there's one near you.

Once they're welded, you have no more worries. Or at least no more worries about the engine.

-RP

Oldnavyt

Established Member
It was rumored that Ford had to de-tune the SHO V8 as delivered from Yamaha. It was rated at 300 hp and tuned down at Ford.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Its rumored that that the V6 Yamaha motor was detuned. The 3.4L V8 was never detuned and is a combined effort between Ford and Yamaha, as the V6 was completely a Yamaha design. The motor was assembled complete in Japan and shipped to ATL to be put in the cars.

Users who are viewing this thread